Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

I hope I didn't do any damage

eajosepheeajoseph Posts: 315
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Depression and Coping
Yesterday afternoon my daughter asked me for some of the strawberry milkshake whoppers that she talked me into the other day. I gave her a few in a small bowl and she went downstairs to play on her computer and eat them. She does this all the time so I wasn't worried. Let me say that she is 4 years old.

She had been playing for a little while then I heard her scream and cry. She was coming upstairs to me as I was trying to get to her. She was choking! Apparently a whopper got stuck in her throat. Not sure how but it was there. I was terrified! This is my baby. My daughter. And I was seeing her choke.

Without thinking, I grabbed her and as I picked her up I used my arm to kind of thrust into her upper stomach hoping to dislodge whatever was in there. At that point I didn't know. I stood her on a chair and as she coughed I was smacking her back. Thank God it came out and she's fine. She did say she never wants to eat whoppers again.

I had my fusion in January and still have a lifting restriction of 10 pounds. I hope that I didn't do any permanent damage to my fusion. My pain is through the roof since this happened. I've been in a lot of pain since the surgery and this certainly didn't help. I'm resting and staying on top of my meds but it's bad right now.

I had no choice but to do something to help her. I went on motherly instinct. Protecting my kids will always outweigh protecting myself. I am going to see a new dr today for a second opinion since the first dr is acting like a complete idiot right now. Today is a big low for me. I've been trying to be positive and cope but it's not happening right now.

Just needed to vent. Knowing that you guys will be able to relate to my situation helps.

• And the only thing you can do is be thankful you were able to help your daughter and deal with any consequences it may have caused for your back. I'm glad that your daughter is okay and I hope the new doc can give you some help and a new perspective on your condition.

• I am so glad to hear your daughter is okay. It really is frightening to see someone choking, particularly when it's your child! Your heart must have felt like it was going to jump out of your chest afterwards. I had to do the Heimlich Maneuver on my little brother years ago, as he was choking on a cough drop. To this day, I always break up hard candy and cough drops for my children. My youngest is 9... lol. (I know it's a result of seeing my brother choking).

Glad to hear that you have a doctors appointment today, particularly after yesterday's excitement. You reacted as any good mother would.... please know that. So sorry to hear how much pain you are in today. Will keep my fingers crossed that you check out okay and nothing is damaged.

I hope you like this new doctor and your visit goes well.

• great job and quick thinking! thank God your little one is ok! mom's will do anything to protect their children. i would say that it was worth the sacrifice! i hope your back is ok! keep us posted.
  • Just was wondering how your doctor visit went yesterday?

Hope your pain has lessened.

• The second opinion was great. Unlike my original surgeon, this one listened to me, understook what I wanted to know, and explained things in terms that I could understand. When I mentioned that the surgeon had suggested that the burning, tingling, and numbness in my feet could be caused by a vitamin deficeincy, he rolled his eyes and shook his head. He went over what he thought should have been before surgery, what needs to be done, what areas should be focused on, meds that should be changed, etc. He said at this point it is time to step back and look at what else could be causing this. I promptly said Thank you, that's what I've been asking for.

It was a very thorough plan. He's going to have a copy of the report that will be going to the surgeon and my PCP. I asked about switching drs; he said that it would probably be best to see if the dr and PM's are going to take his recommendations and implement them or not. He also said that if things continue or they ignore his report that he would be happy to take on my case.

Part of the plan is to do a specific test to see if my pain could be originating in the sacroiliac area. Apparently, that would fit with most of my symptoms. If that's not it, an EMG might be necessary. I've done that before and it wasn't pleasant. He also told me that I might hear the PM start talking about SCS trials and/or implants in a few months.

I'm going to do what he asked. I'll give the drs that I started with a chance to implement the plan he is recommending. If they won't, then I'm out of there. My current drs are about 20 minutes from home and the second opinion is at least 45 minutes. Not a big deal to get better medical treatment.

Also told the 2nd opinion dr what happened with my daughter. He understood and said these things happen and you had to do what was necessary.

The pain isn't quite as severe as it was after I lifted her but I'm still in more pain than usual. Hoping it will settle down in a few more days. A modified Heimlich worked. I've taken CPR, First Aid and Safety courses for infants and children as well as adult CPR. She's pretty small so I waited to see if a traditional Heimlich was necessary. Apparently, using my forearm to thrust under her ribcage and a few smacks to her back worked.

My neighbor said to bang on the wall next time and she'll know I need her. One advantage of townhouse living. The bang on the wall system is now in place between our houses. Huge blessing to have wonderful people on the other side of our wall.
  • Glad to hear your doctors appointment went well. He sounds to be very thorough! It's peace of mind to know he will take you on, in the event your original doctors disagree with this new doctors plan for you.

You are lucky to have such a nice neighbor who is just a "bang" away! Life brings us so many different surprises and you never know when you just might need her help. Or, vice versa. :)

Take good care.