Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New, confused and scared

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi everyone,
I didn't expect to be here. Guess nobody does eh?
I just had lithotripsy for kidney stone 6 weeks ago and continued with back pain. The urologist said everything was clear now, so I must have strained my back. On to neuro where I had the MRI that confirmed a herniated disk to L3-4.

Of course I was shocked, but by this time I knew something was terribly wrong and progressing very quickly. I started out with pain to my left side (the same side as kidney stone), then on down leg with numbness and weakness, severe pain to the knee. I could not sleep for extreme pain.

The first thing the neuro said was surgery (microdisectomy). I agreed that day and had surgery 3 days later (yesterday). I was so afraid that I would damage the nerve more if I waited since it seemed to only get worse day by day.

So now, I'm reading all these posts after the fact and getting more anxious with each one. The doc seemed so assured that I would be better. Told me that if I had to have a herniated disk, that I couldn't have chosen a better place to have it. I guess I was just not expecting a surgery option the first thing. I was really going in expecting to hear that with time, and perhaps PT or something everything would be fine.

So today, the knee pain has almost vanished. I still have some numbness and weakness and a bit of pain if I stand or walk too much. I wasn't exactly sure what was expected of me....how much to walk, ect..so I called the nurse today who told me the Dr expected that I should walk up to 2 miles by the time I see him again for my post-op in 2 weeks.
Huh? Why didn't someone tell me this before? So I walked a bit today, but I really am still unsure how much to push myself.

I am extremely frightened that I am not sitting right, that I am not lying right, or doing anything right for that matter.

My back is sore, achy but really not as bad as I had imagined it would be. I guess what I'm trying to say/ask is what should I do so that I don't reinjure myself?

I'm sorry to go on and on....but I'm sure you all have BTDT and may have some suggestions for me. Thanks so much!

• What you are experiencing is pretty typical sounding for being so soon out of surgery. One thing to keep in mind, is that it is easier and generally recommended to break your daily walking up into multiple shorter walks, then one long walk. What I always find is that I start out slow and in a few days it's like my body kicks into overdrive and does so much more. Rest in between and it is generally recommended to keep your sitting down to only a few minutes at a time until you can extend that time comfortably.

Anyway, welcome to Spine Health.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. everyone heals at a different rate. overdoing it is not what the doctor ordered. ~X( go back to rest and start over again. I) be sure and talk to your doctor or your pt about when and how to start activities. :-C good luck and have a healthy recovery! :D Jenny :)
  • LizLiz Posts: 7,832

Welcome to the forum

I am sure you find the information and support here on the site to help you.

Take care

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • Thank you all for your replies. Today is day three post-op. All I can say is uuuuuugggggggh. The pain is back in my knee, still not as bad as pre-op but not pleasant.
    I feel achy, horrible. They say the third day's the worst. I hope so...
  • Sounds like your going through the healing processes. Please remember one thing, these boards are great but never let them take precidence over your doctor. Also remember a lot whom still post have had complications beyond surgery or have chronic issues so there will always be more negative then positive posts here, as wel frankly when you get healed you have less time ;0