Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello All

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in New Member Introductions
Im very new to this forum, actually just found it last nite and certainly wish I had found it much sooner. I have been reading over many stories and certainly feel bad for those that have had hard luck and bad experience with the recovery process and am happy to read and see there are those out there also that have had great success with there surgery.

My story, ive delt with chronic pain in my lower back and neck for over 5+ years now, ive run the gauntlet of just about every option out there, like many of you, and ive always shyed away from the thought of surgery for many reasons, but im at a crossroads really. I was injured on my job, involved in a motor-vehicle accident and the recovery process has been hard dealing with comp period, as many here may know or not themselves.

Recently ive had to dump lawyers and doctors that didnt listen and finally found ones that are this past year and have been in a few times now for new MRI's and CAT scans to reinforce my old ones from 5 yrs ago, but now of course im getting worse, but no new injuries. My new doctor has suggested surgery, first time in 5yrs anyone has, and he wants to do replacement and fusion, but the hurdle im facing is getting that passed by comp, and they have really put up alot of roadblocks for past meds, and treatment, and looking up the cost of this surgery and recovery alone it pains me to think this will now be declined, ive also seen major insurance companies have turned these types of surgeries down 2. Im actually close to retirement, so im not even sure if that would play a role in comps decission making.

If anyone has any input on there experience with dealing with compensation and the such id like to hear, and sorry to have made this such a long first post.

• Have you tried for SSI disabilty?
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what quesstions we can. check out the "Health Insurance" forum for some answers to your questions.. :? good luck with your problems! :D stop by anytime. Jenny :)
  • Yes I have ssi disability, would that cover any part of the surgery should comp not approve ?
  • I have SSDI, I do have Medicare and have medical and Hospital coverage under that, its all new to me and probably should check into it. Thanks paulgla, im mainly confused as to what should happen if compensation does not approve this surgery, seeing ive been out for over 5 yrs now and nearing retirement, but should the surgery-recovery go well ive been told there is a chance I could return to my old duties, but im not so sure that can even happen provided the time ive been out.

Very confusing, wished I could have located certain help years ago actually.
  • You should call medicare to find out for sure but I am pretty sure that if another party is responsible for the injuries medicare will make them pay first and then they would pay the rest. Good luck and let us know how you make out.
  • Thanks, ill do that. Im being told a few different things considering comp, some think they wont approve it and ill have to go through the process of a hearing and such, which is fine, but if I lose at least maybe medicare will assist me with part.