Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cervical disc replacement surgery (Prestige)

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone i wanted to share my experience because i didn't see all that much on the subject and thought some of you may benefit from it. I had one of many snowboard accidents a year ago and an MRI showed that my disc had busted between C5 and C6. All my other discs were in perfect condition (knock on wood) So, after some deliberation, I tried to get approval for the surgery from UHC. After a month or two of back and forth, letters from my DR and such, they would only approve fusion surgery. I'm in my late 30s and I didn't want to do that kind of surgery because i've heard too many bad fusion stories. Plus i want to be active and it's my opinion that the disc replacement will help save the other discs above and below as apposed to Fusion. Of course, dealing with an insurance Co that does not seem listen to reason is a nightmare.

Zip ahead 10 months, my new MRI showed even more degeneration, and there was a risk of my cervical bones fusing together on their own. Luckily i had switched to Aetna through my wife's work and they approved my Disc replacement within a few days.

As the day of the surgery approached i became more nervous. Most everyone around me with the exception of my wife looked at me like i was crazy to have neck surgery. (Like they didn't want to say what was really on their mind). But i did my research. Found a great surgeon in NYC (Dr Eric Elewitz), and I bit the bullet.

The morning of, i arrived at 6 am, they wheeled me in, put me under (first time for me and it was quite strange xfiles-like with all the lights and people rushing around). 2 and a half hours later i opened my eyes and i was ok. Spoke with the surgeon who said it went great. Within 2 hours i was eating, peeing and walking. I refused the pain killers cause i thought they would make me more anxious or something and i wasn't in that much pain anyway! I also refused the anti-nausia medicine (a decision i would later come to regret as the anestheia wore off - take it, trust me). Some advice, because it's not done that often, i found that the nurses and PTs didn't know the recovery procedures of DRS. They had me in a collar which i didn't need. Someone even told me not to turn my head which was totally fine for me to do. Essentially, once the Prestige was drilled in place and the wound closed, i could do anything except lift heavy things. So you should know that going in and don't be afraid to educate the staff that are used to dealing with fusion patients. Apparently with fusion, it takes more time to heal.

I only took tylenol, i did have a huge headache for about 12 hours after, i think mainly from the anestheia, and my neck hurt up and down the back into my shoulders for a week- everyday getting better. Those muscles were tight from the trama of surgery which was expected. Had i taken the prescribed pain killers, i think i would have felt better. But my hands were strong and now that it has been about 3 weeks i feel better everyday. i'm off the muscle relaxers and i'm doing anything i want - i can head back to the gym in another 3 week. I still have neck pain but i've been told that will slowly go away - i feel very fortunate. I'll give a report in a few months and let you all know how it's going. Thanks for reading.

• So it's been about 6 months since my disc replacement and i wanted to share my progress. Here goes. My neck has full range of motion with no pain. No pain in the back. None in the fingers- no numbness. None in the neck. And no more headaches. I started some easy back and neck exercises 3 months ago - it really helps get rid of residual aches and pain. Other than a small scar and some skin numbness, it's like i never had a problem. It's unbelievable. I'm doing full intense workouts now and losing the weight that i gained due to the inactivity from my injury. I'm lucky because the rest of my discs are in great shape so this fixed me up good. For all of you with multiple disc problems you should know that I called Metronics and they said they're working on a smaller ceramic\titanium piece that can be used for multiple replacements. (Whether it gets FDA approved or not is a whole other story). I chose not to wait for this option.

Bottom line: If you can accept the risk of going under (and possibly never waking up) than cervical disc replacement is well worth it - it changed my life. Thanks for reading, -Nicho\popo
  • How did you decide on ProDisc vs Prestige? Which one did you choose?

• Hey Peter, I had the Prestige installed. My surgeon recommended that one. It's all metal and fda approved so insurance was more likely to approve it.

• Its great to hear positive feedback & results!
  • did you have any instability or broken fecte joints or just the herniated disk
  • Just the herniation and some bone spurs.