Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

non fusion...help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello all..any help you can give me appreciated...I had an ACDF on C5-6 May 2007 then cervical decompression December 2007. Found out about 9 months ago that they feared pseuodarthorsis (non fusion). Had xrays and saw surgeon last week and is definately a non-fusion. Had MRI yesterday and no results yet. Surgeon said that since I have other neck problems that I need to decide how much surgery I wanna do. He said that they can try to do a revision through the front with a "synthetic material" but if that doesnt get a fusion, I will have to have posterior multilevel fusion and probably be in more pain the rest of my life. Anyone else had this happen? Any advice appreciated. im kinda looking at doing the "BIG" surgery and getting it over with. Dont wanna jump the gun but seems like all the pain over and over and more surgeries arent worth it. Would rather have the one big one and be done with it. Im in pain all the time anyway. Any advice on a posterior multi-level fusion (recovery time, post op pain levels? I take 90mg morphine daily and 3 10mg percocets and still have pain. Recently had botox injections in my right shoulder to help with the constant spasm and they helped for about a month. Can only get them every three months. Any advice on pain management also appreciated.

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    Hey Cindy,

I had the so-called Big surgery the first go-round both anterior and posterior.
    I don't know that your pain will be greater or have it the rest of yor life. You need to have stability to prevent further major or catastrophic damage to your spine. Ask your Dr lots of questions, do your homework, and do what is best for you. Stay positive and I wish you the best.
    Take care,
  • I had a non fusion and had the revision done posterior. I am fused C4-C7. It was a long recovery for me, yes I am still in pain but the revision was needed for the stability. What the revision left me with was a lot of nerve pain and I also have a lot of arthritis in my neck.

• Hi CJ,

I had my first ACDF C5-6 in Nov. 06 done with a cadaver bone and it didn't fuse. My doctor did a revision Oct. 07 and he used my hip bone and a cage. Perhaps doing this will improve things some for you? I am now fused. I'm still in pain and the surgery did not help, but that is because I waited too long and my nerves are damaged. At least, that is what the doctors are saying.
  • Hi CJ,

I have gone through the posterior revision surgery. Psuedo is not to be played with. It actually has a different meaning than just non-fusion. Psuedo means false joint and can lead to other more serious issues, I did the revision for psuedoarthrosis. What does your surgeon mean by the big surgery. What is the snthetic they will be using. I caution the use of bmp in the cervical spine and the FDA has sent out warnings of not using that in the cervical spine, due to severe complications with its use. I would certainly get a second opinion even though you trust this surgeon and all. A new set of eyes may reveal something else and lets it open for debate. Did they also do a Ct as well. Ct's are more useful when looking at bone, which that is what your fusion is. The MRI will help looking at any other levels. The more levels you add in the harder the recovery is. Do you smoke? Smoking plays a huge part in fusions. Did you wear a bone growth stimulator?

Good luck with your surgeons appointment and let us know how it turns out. Hopefully by fixing the one level your issues will get better, and the reminder can be treated conservative.
  • Thanks for the info everyone. And yes tamtam, I have talked to you before. I was on this site before all of the updates, and came back looking for some more information. I have a ct scheduled. What the surgeon explained he means by the big one is the multilevel posterior fusion. I have been researching the synthetic and dont wanna go that route. Surgeon doesnt really want to either. I have become such a chicken after the last two years that I was looking for an easy way out. The more I find out though the more im becoming pretty sure I am gonna have to do the posterior...sighhhhh........thanks all for helping