Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

my veiws on the big F

treadyttready Posts: 61
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi folk yes the big Fusion. iv been reading alot of posts were ppl have been told they need it but won,t. i carnt get my head around this. ok its scary ok it might not work ok u could end up worse and theres always the big 1 the end if it all gose wrong death. well im in the situation were i need it doing and thats all there is to it. i av 2 choices do it or dont. dont i get worse until im a complete criple spending my days righting posts on here wishing id had the bottle to go through with it. so i av it done and it fails well least i tried and i can live with that knowing i tried. i die well nobody knows really what hapens after death so can only face that if it was to happen.it works well thank god i had the bottle to do it.this is my take on fusion the bear bones the only options we got im sorry but i carnt stand the wingers and moaners on here who no what they need doing but just moan how bad they feel how it hurts but dont do nothing about it. im not avin a go at those who av other options first to try im talkin about the 1s who no thats the only option but still hold out moaning about how they feel worse.i no this is a harsh post but they make me sick i just feel i needed to say so as im in agony right now im shiting my self to at the thought of them cutting me up puting screws into my bones using hamers and chisels on my back iv seen the video on utube its grose but ay its all i got so dame it ill take the big bad bull by the horns and go for it what evr the outcome least i tried the end of my moan thanks tready
advertisement

Comments

• When are you scheduled for your Fusion?

Dick
    Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • surgon says 12 weeks waiting list that was 4 weeks ago so about 8 weeks.
  • I hope your choice works out for you. Everyone is different and I believe some surgeons may rush to a fusion without considering other options like ADR or IDET/Nucleoplasty etc because they have performed so many fusions and think they are good at it. Personally, I believe fusions cause more problem/fusions in the future. Your condition,...if your MRI pic is your image, definitely needs some stabilization and I think that will definitely help you! :)

A favor,...please don't text on these boards, it is very irritating. Thanks!
  • yeah thats my mri scan pic i asked if i could take a pic of it on my phone so i could show me fiancee and family. hope it works also but if it dont i least i tried it. it carnt be any more painful than it already is.
  • I hope it helps you. I had 2 level in Dec and was also to that point. I had tried everything else, but had torn discs so nothing else was gonna help. I am still recouping and just keep in mind that it is a very long recovery. It is helping me, but nerve damage is still buggin me. I have to be paitient and keep moving.Good Luck
  • Tready,

I am not a doctor but after looking at your MRI my suggestion is to follow your doctor's advice. You mentioned being in terrible pain, and the surgery may provide relief for you.

My 3 level ACDF was April 30th and I too had many of the same fears as you have now. However right after surgery the pain, numbness, and tingling from my neck to my left hand was gone! I did take pain medication for two weeks, but am not taking any medications now, not even aspirin. That is not to say there is no pain, but it is tolerable, and likely caused by the Miami J Collar I wear all day and night.

Have confidence in your surgeon and hope for the best. Many folks have had great outcomes. Few write here because they are living their lives. It takes an effort to monitor this site, and I am just two weeks post-op. I think those who have complications are more likely to write about their outcomes. People who have good results are moving forward. I just want to provide hope and confidence for people like me who were fearful of surgery and the potential for negative results.

Good luck! Please post your feelings and share your fears. Knowledge will get you through.

Ralph
  • I was confused by your post, but my daughter tells me its tech speak. Okay! I know, we all get a bit daunted by the scary stories, and some of us do whine about options, outcomes, pain, family issues, etc. Its pretty scary stuff, and I know you're aware that many of us find this is the only place we can whine. When you have kids, grandkids, spouse, an older parent who's having her own issues, complaining and moaning can ONLY be done here. We can't freak out our kids
    s! That having been said, when I look at your images, I can only imagine that you must be praying for fusion! Ouch!!!
  • You look like you have stability issues... Thats what mine looked like. Yikes, don't worry about dying in surgery, all the doctors are there. I came out of surgery and had no back pain like before. Sure I was hurting a bit but not enough to stop me from walking later on. I went home the next day! I had no more pain trying to get out of bed, sitting, bending. The pain was gone and I seriously believe the Artificial Disk Replacement did the trick as well as the fusion. It has been 6 months and I have been out riding my motorcycle again. Last year before surgery I thought I was gonna die when I went over a bump, not anymore. I wish you the same success. I was nervous before surgery day but once it was there I was extremely calm and looking forward to pain free days. Best Wishes
  • Wow, I looked at your MRI and I don't think that's something I could live with easily. I was told by all the doctors in town that I should do nothing about my back. Nevermind that I couldn't walk ten feet and sitting was pure agony. I had scoliosis and was sliding into a painful pile of mush. Fortunately, I found a doc a couple of hours away who didn't think I was likely to do well without surgery and he offered to help. I'm doing quite well now. Yes, I do still have painful days but nothing like the pain I had before surgery. Let them help you and I think you'll do okay. Anything has to be better than what you've got now. That just looks incredibly painful and unstable.

Linda

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • If it needs to be done then you must get it done. I have permanent nerve damage because three years ago they screwed up my MRI. I went to PT, Chiro, had Epidural pain shots, trigger shots and nothing. Pain was back in a day or two. I have two herniated disks and a pinched root nerve. I developed DDD and arthritis in my neck. There are day I wish I could shoot myself because it hurts so bad. I am actually at the point where I can't wait to have surgery!

Three years ago they told me bulging disk but they were wrong and mixed up the MRI. They told me after, it was two herniated disks and a pinched nerve. I though I was nuts at first because I could have pain in my shoulder blade because there was no inpinchment. What idiots!

When I resently went for my third EMG, the doc told me I should have had emergency surgery after the accident or at least had it done shortly after. It's been a nightmare. I'm the mom of three and teach. I was trying to complete my masters but couldn't because my hand and shoulder were in pain last semester. I pray I can finish and you need to understand that like me, we really have no other option. I'm scared but I would rather live then die and I'm willing to take that chance. I feel like I'm not living now so maybe surgery will let me live more. I think it's worth it even if all fails at least I know I tried.

I know in my heart it will work because I have too much living to do! Be positve and know that it's worth it if you live pain free or with less pain.

Oh, I wanted to add that I did try Cymbalta and it worked great at taking the pain away but made me sick so I had to stop taking it. It's just an idea, I wish it did work for me but with permanent nerve damage surgery must be done.

Good Luck!

Cindy
    Cindy
advertisement