Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Body Shape Change Post Fusion Surgery?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hey everyone

Has anyone esle noticed a change in their body shape post fusion surgery?

My back was always flat, but now the natural curve has been manufactured - and my back has a nice curve as well as scar, my stomach seems to have been pushed forward! Ok I have put on 6 lbs in weight, but I should still be able to do up the zips!!!

Anyone else see a change?

• several things. I agree about the stomach thing.

I am taller - which is true - doc said he added almost an inch to my height, and my back also has a weird kind of a "pad" for lack of a better word where the incision was. This is sometimes really swollen when I overdue it and at other times almost completely flat. I can tell when I have really overdone it by this area and how swollen it gets. I hope that goes away eventually.
  • Prior to my fusion, I always wore my pants about belly button high. Now I have to wear them lower because the waistband is too tight. I am the same weight as I was before the fusion and my pants are the same size.

Emergency surgery in March of 2006 for spinal infection of L 2 and L 3. During surgery, discovered I had Cauda Equina Syndrome. Spine became unstable after surgery and had 360 fusion with 10 pedicle screws, plates and rods in April of 2007.
  • I now have one hip higher than the other since I had my fusion at L4 & L5. My slacks do not fit right! One pants leg is longer than the other now. To get them the same length I have to buy them to long and then take them up until they are the right length. They also want to twist around to the left. ~X( I love to wear longer flowing dresses and that hides my higher hip problem. I can't wear skirts coz they wanna twist to the left too.
    I hate being "crooked" like this but wat ya gonna do? Thank goodness I can hide it. :D
    Best to all...
    Hugsssssssssss >:D<
  • Yup, your shape changes & like others, I can't really figure it out..no weight gain, no tape-measure "evidence" but I can't stand snything over my incision nor do jeans seem comfy anymore, or any other "constructed" styles or harsh fabrics.. I still have a nice lordic curve, etc. & flat tummy, but it feels different from the inside--just weird!!

Love elastic waistbands & dresses! I usually still wear a soft brace while teaching b/c it helps remind me not to BLT & provides a bit of support....I often add a fake flower to the front of it & think of it as a trendy belt...!

You do what you must!

And anything against my hardware area just kills me!

Maybe we should start a company that specializes in post-fusion fashions! :)