Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hello - New SCS implanted 4/23/09

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in New Member Introductions
Hi everyone.

I would like to introduce myself.

I had an ANS Spinal Cord Stimulator put in April 24th 2009.

I had (have) pain that radiates from my lower back, down my butt (right side), shoots down the outside of my right leg and goes all the way down to my three smallest toes. Sciatica, Stenosis, and Failed back surgery syndrom are some of the things I have heard, along with "your MRI looks good". The only "GOOD" picture I've ever taken seems to be of my back.

To make a very long dramatic story short, I tried everything from injections, surgery, and narcotics. The only thing that really worked was the narcotics, but "they don't work for nerve pain!" That really P's me off because it was hell to get some narcotics.

Anyway, I had the SCS put in and it has been wonderful for pain control.

I plan on letting you all know how it works for me in the future and will write more about the SCS experience.

The SCS was a last resort option, but it seems that it is working great so far.

Talk to you all later.

• Welcome to Spine Health. Glad to hear that your SCS is doing a nice job for you. It just keeps getting better. The more time that goes by, the more you will notice you are reclaiming your life and back to doing things that you haven't been able to do for however long the pain and narcotics may have kept you from it. There is a growing group of us on Spine Health with an SCS. Some have Medtronic, some ANS, some have Advanced Bionics. Some have percutaneous leads, while others have paddle leads. All in all the experience is pretty much the same. A couple of us have a cervical SCS, most have a lumbar SCS.

I look forward to hearing about your experiences with your new SCS.

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am so glad to hear your SCS is working well for you! :D it must be such a thrill to have pain relief! <:P good luck and stop by anytime! :D Jenny :)
  • I would appreciate updates on your SCS experience as my doc thinks that I may do well with one also. Good luck and I will look forward to reading your updates.
  • Hi.....
    I may be getting scs this summer. I was wondering how soon it was before you were driving car and up and around after surgery.
    by the way, you wont believe this but my bones were so tight they couldn't find an opening through which to snake the test lead. they plan on going right to permanent insertion.
    gld for your relief...
    }:) }:) }:) pete

• I am about to have a trial SCS implantation Assuming I progress to a permanent installation, I am concerned about the placement of the pulse generator. The photos I've seen look like it is in the upper buttock -- I may be vain, but I do have a job where I have to dress up, and it would seem that a placement there would be quite obvious in most clothes - admittedly, I already have a more-than-adequate butt and I really don't need any additional volume there. Where do you all have your generators implanted?

ACDF C4-5-6 2007
  • A lot depends on the brand and model of generator. Mine is in my right "upper cheek" and you can't tell no matter what I wear. Unless you see the scar or push on the area it is in, you'd never know it is there.