Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pls help

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi, im in hospital after having a bilatoral micro discectomy on friday.i am in a lot of pain and cannot weight bear. i can only walk with a frame when a nurse pulls it,cant turn overetc. im scared.is this normal after micro discectomy? pls help

• It is typical to have some pain after back surgery, but they should be controlling it with medication. Can you tell us more about the surgery you had? Has your surgeon spoken with you about youor concerns???

Hope today is better! Hang in there!
  • it was a wide large i5 s1 disc bulge which he removed by going in both sides so as to avoid the nerves.he said there was a lot of pressure from the bulge. i was on oxycontin and oxynorm before and theyve kept me going on that and paracetamol,but its not helping.surgeon doesnt come in on wkends [nhs].
  • The surgeon worked around the nerves in such a way that he moved around a lot of tissue (muscles ect) and that inflammation is causing you a lot of pain right now. You may need something stronger for pain. Enormous pain should be controlled. Sorry to say that, you'll have to tough this out til tomorrow when you see the surgeon if they won't give you another medication for pain. Do you have leg pain/numbness/weakness and that's why you can't move? Is it bilateral also?

I wish I could help you, I am sorry!
  • i have some leg pain in both legs and numbness which comes and goes but its my back thats stopping me from walking and turning over. im a 37 year old mother of 3 and ifeel like a 10 year old child.i was told people go home the day after the op,so i wasnt expecting this.my family are 200 miles away so that doesnt help
  • sorry forgot to say he removed the whole disc
  • Huh?!!!

Whole disc? What was used to fill in the space?
    Maybe you had a fusion and don't know it.
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • Maybe I'm not understanding this right,...he removed the entire disc between the vertebra or just the disc material that was causing the nerve compression. I'm assuming that latter is what you meant. The back pain may be heightened surgical pain and the nerve pain is inflammation from them being moved around quite possibly.

I think it's important at this juncture to control the pain. Are they going to help you with that?
  • and talk to them for some comfort? These surgeries are tough. Hang in there.
  • he said he went in bothsides to avoid damaging the nerves and got rid of just about all of it and there was lots of pessure which wascausig the pain .this is all he said.the bulge was massive so i have feeling there will be very little left evenif he did just remove the bulge.i will have to speak to him tomorrow.i got more pain relief and have been turned into a more comfy poition now so am less distressed.i just spoke to my husband and two of my kids and that has helped.i am sure i've heard of whole discs being removed, but i did wonder what would cushion it after.
  • that you were able to get some pain relief and talk with your family. Hopefully early tomorrow your surgeon can explain things better to you.

Take Care!
  • I am so sorry you've been in pain and so far away from your husband and babies! That certainly makes it harder. Like Buckeye, I'm concerned when you say he removed the whole disc. That sounds extreme and I've seldom heard of that being done. I hope you get some answers tomorrow and I'm glad you have had some relief. This back stuff sucks!
  • You need to ask for stronger meds!!!
  • i get the feeling they think im making it all up.they think i should be needing less meds than what i was on before,and i cant even stand without a frame, even with oxycontin, oxynorm every 2 hours and diazipam.i am waiting for the physiotherapist to come round.had to beg them for morphine the night before last and like i said i think they think im pretending..i cant start to get angry with them because they will think im a trouble maker.. :( ..,
  • you need to get angry! We all feel as though we're being treated as children or addicts all the time and I'm sick of it! Pain is real, we aren't making it up just to get stoned! I'm sure that's what you want at this point, to get high while you're trying to recover, right? Its so aggravating to read post after post where people are in pain and the medical establishment makes us feel like liars. Aarrghhh!!! I hope you feel better very soon, Karen. Be a trouble maker, you have to advocate for yourself.