Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

4th day post-op

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
My second post here. Still uncertain and a terrified.
I am sorta mad at my NS for giving me such a bright prognosis when in reality, it seems like any kind of nerve recovery is slow and painful. I was specifically told that he was 98% sure he could *fix* me and the effect would be immediate. I could have dealt so much better if I had known to expect this to start with.
The first day after surgery, the pain was mostly gone, so I was pretty optimistic. Now the pain and numbness/weakness are all back. I am having none of the pins and needles feelings that would indicate to me that feeling is coming back. In fact, each day the pain seems to be a little worse than the previous day.
I wasn't really given clear instructions on what to do/not to do post-op. I am sooooooooo tired of lying down I could scream but I'm afraid I'll hurt myself more by sitting very much.
I try to walk a bit, which is the only thing that does seem to help.
I am just very discouraged. Again, if he had indicated that it would take time, it would have been easier to accept, but with the seemingly lack of response from my body...how can I not think things are not well?

• Sorry you're having such a tough time right now. What kind of surgery did you have done? Any time you have surgery, your body needs time to recover from that particular trauma. Don't be too hard on yourself or impatient....call your dr and tell them what you're experiencing and ask what's normal. If you're trying to do too much before you're body is ready then you might very likely hurt yourself worse than before. So be careful and take it easy. Let us know what the dr says.
  • Thank you,
    I had a microdisectomy L3-4. This all started just as I was recovering from a kidney stone episode which included general anesthesia and lithotripsy 6 weeks prior to my back injury.
    Actually I am wondering if somehow I was injured on the surgery table when I had the litho since I started hurting about a week after that, and can't figure out any other way I injured my back.
    Guess, it really doesn't matter...just am curious.
    I've had surgeries in the past, just never a back injury. And while this hasn't been the most painful surgery to recover from, it has definitely been the scariest.
    I think anytime we have a nerve injury and don't know what to expect.... it's scary.
    Maybe if I had been dealing with the injury for a while, I would have been better prepared. It was just all so sudden...
    I'm sorry for freaking out. And I truly feel bad because I know it could be so much worse. I can move, I can feel...I guess I should be thankful.
  • Wow, sorry to hear you are in pain.
    People do in fact, fall off tables.
    There has got to be a way for you to find out if something happened during the litho.
    They keep records.

On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008
  • You are so soon out of surgery, especially with spine surgery, it takes time to heal. Even doing a micro-d, there is going to be swelling that needs time to resolve before the nerves will feel better and calm down. Give it some time before you freak out thinking you were mislead.

• It does get better but it is somewhat a roller coaster ride. I have good days and bad. I don't know what your surgeon told you but back surgery is not like other surgeries and it will take a while to recover. Nerves take up to two years to heal. Try to take it slow and don't over do or you might reinjure yourself. I wish you the best.

• This was your first back surgery and it can be scary when you are facing something new and unknown. I, too, had microdiscectomies (never had surgeries prior to these), and I was very nervous.

Read some posts from people who had similar surgeries and realize what you are feeling is common.

Good luck on your recovery.
  • Thank you all again. I think this is just the straw that broke the camel's back (hmmm, perhaps not a good analogy to use).
    I had been previously suffering with a misdiagnosed kidney stone for a year, while all the time it was growing until it was huge and lodged firmly. During that time (while thinking I had interstitial cystitis (which I don't) and dealing with both elderly parents down and very ill. I lost my dad on Thanksgiving Day after a very hard hospitalization, then my mom 3 months to the day in Feb this year.
    Then, they finally found out for sure I had the kidney stone and took care of that....then this hits.
    It's just been literally one thing after another and I'm getting shell-shocked and very weary of it all.
    I just turned 55 and have been very active until lately and now I feel like I'm falling apart.
    I don't mean to whine.....but I'm having problems being so pessimistic with everything else that's happened.
  • Its normal to get depressed after what you have been going through. Just hang in there and try to stay positve. If possible try to think of the good things-like the kidney stone is gone and hopfully you will have a successful outcome with this surgery in time. Its hard when everything hits you one after the other.
    You will be a stronger person after all of this.
    My positive thoughts are with you!!