Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

coping with anger

saamsonitessaamsonite Posts: 20
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Depression and Coping
I am having a VERY, VERY hard time coping with my anger lately. I have always been a very laid-back, go with the flow kind of person and am caught off guard with the intensity of my anger. I have dealt with clinical depression my entire life, but had to go off my meds because they were making my spine osteoporotic. Because I have the tendency to bottle up all my emotions, I am afraid that I am going to fall back into the dark hole again. I am moving rapidly in that direction.

After my first spinal fusion, I had to move back in with my parents after living on my own since I was 17. I am an extremely active person and being out of commission for the last year and change has been excruciating. On top of that, the main trigger for my anger and frustration lately is my 20 year old sister, who is selfish beyond belief and is extremely rude and disrespectful to my family, even my parents, which drives me absolutely insane. I have talked to her about it one several occasions and she has told me flat out that she doesn’t care.

In the past, I would cope with my anger by running, biking, rockclimbing, or anything active to burn it off which was extremely effective. After my latest fusion I have been taking walks, but I am having another ankle surgery tomorrow and will not be able to walk for about 2 months. Does anyone have advice on how to cope with this without being physical? I am at an utter loss and am ashamed for letting it get the best of me…

• today!! I hope that you can find the release that you need. Things to do with not being physical? Reading, crosswords or games that require thinking or concentration, listening to light music, nature sounds maybe? writing your feelings down, then destroying the paper, as a symbol of letting it go? Maybe taking a correspondence course? Digital photography and editing?

I hope that you can find an outlet, and don't feel ashamed, it happens to the best of us!!!

Wishing you a quick recovery from your surgery!!! >:D<
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • I completely understand what you are saying - even with the family issues. I too have a tendency to keep things bottled up inside until I am at the point of exploding. My psychologist calls it being passive agressive - I call it a pain in the back side!! ~X(

Depression alone is tough to deal with but when you couple it with chronic pain or other issues the evil that lurks there becomes a giant monster. For me, the thing that works the best is writing. I often write my thoughts down here on the computer and will go back and change or add things as necessary.

I also have a true blue friend that can tell if something is wrong just by the way I talk when we IM each other. I have known this man for 2 1/2 years and he has been one of the few contants in my life since my injury. He too has had to put up with the frustration of dealing with W/C so he understands a lot of what I am going through in all aspects. He will talk with me as long as I need him to whether it be via IM or the phone or both. This man is truly the best friend I have ever had in my life and he will always and forever hold a special place in my heart. I wish all of us here could have a friend like him to lean on when we need a little help. He has been there for me through the joys and the tears I have experienced. I am truly blessed to have him in my life.

I know the anger is very hard to control and if you ever need to talk just PM me I would be happy to IM with you - I have yahoo messenger and my ID is jskreusch@yahoo.com - feel free to add me if you wish. I spend a lot of time on the computer since I am not able to do much else. Who knows, we may be able to help each other.

Take good care!

Jacque >:D<