Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Why not a Multi Level Surgery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
In August 2008 I had ACDF at th c6/7 level. It worked. About
4 weeks ago. I started getting numbness and pain in both arms and woke up one morning with a parylized hand. Saw my surgeon and had MRI. All of this has happened so quick, now I am scheduled for another surgery this friday for c5/6. The MRI also shows degeneration in C4/5 and c7/t1. I realize why he can't do the lower one, but why not fix the two higher levels? I have seen lots of posts about multi level fusions. I don't know if I can do this two more times. What do you all think.

• Hi Blujean,

There are many reasons surgeons don't want to do a multi-level fusion. One for each level you loose more ROM. Also many people have bulging disc but are not symptomatic. By adding two more levels in would make you a 4-level fusion which is huge. Also your ability to recover the more you do is harder. Multi-level fusions have a higher failure rate as well. The failure rate almost doubles for multi-level. I have a three level fusion and did end with psuedoarthrosis. That only lead to more surgery. I have been back in 5 times now and have so much scar tissue and permanent damage. The other levels may never go and you may find after this surgery they aren't what is causing in of your issues. Or they maybe something that can be handled with conservative treatment. If a level fails to fuse the revision surgery is a posterior surgery, and much harder to recover from. Good luck on Friday and let us know how it turns out.