Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

pain is my friend

terror8396tterror8396 Posts: 1,832
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
it makes me sad when i read all of the posts of people who suffer from chronic pain. years and years of pain which affect our relationships and our jobs and our pleasure of life. i don't know if it has been so long with pain but my pain is like a friend now, not a good friend, but one who is there and lets me know he is with me. he is a friend because i guess i got used to it. it is there, but it is in the back of my mind. i don't let my friend rule my life. if he wants to shadow me and follow me that is fine but he walks about a block behind me now and not 2 feet behind me like 10 years ago. sometimes i think this is the way to deal with chronic pain, accept it, live with it, and don't let it rule your life. are there others out there that look on pain as i do, an inconvience but not something that takes over my life. i don't know if 10 years of chronic pain is why i am used to it. i don't remember what life was like without pain. it is weird but it kind of grows on me. i know it's there, i take my meds and see my pain dr every other month. i know walking is a problem now but i am used to this now also. i am trying a couple of things to help me walk, injection, and possible hardware removal, but if these don't work no big deal.
I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.

• i know how you feel about chronic pain, even though i have not known pain for as long as you have. it is my constant companion, somedays closer than others. i don't have any advice to give or magic tricks or pills to suggest. i just have a sympathetic ear!
  • I sure know what you mean. Pain is with you 24/7 so you might as well befriend it in a way. I have become accustomed to it, but it doesn't mean I like it. It is something we have come to live with since there is no choice in the matter.
  • So true Jon. My friend is always with me but doesnt control me.

• jmichelle: i feel the same, don't let the pain control your life. ignore it, ignore it. its not a solution and it doesn't make it okay but i can't stop living and doing the things i want to do like work and spend time with my kids!
  • Jon, I admire your ability to accept your pain and learn to live with it. I understand the concept of constant companion but I have never thought of the pain I feel as a friend, in fact, quite the opposite. Like you, I do not let the pain take over my life, I continue to do as much as I can and enjoy my life; but the thought of living the rest of my life in pain is just not something I want to accept. Continue to keep that friend at bay--it is at the very least an adversarial friend. Glad you are doing better--Sharon

History: Degenerative spine disease with stenosis at L4-5, L3, and neuroforaminal stenosis all moderate to marked. I have some disk bulging but no herniation. Had lumbar x-rays and MRI. Have chronic constant pain. Taking Panlor SS for pain. Also have history of rheumatoid arthritis which first introduced me to pain for 14 years--am in remission from this.
  • All I can say is, you must have a lot of support from friends and at work. For a lot of people, they suffer so much they cant work, and they dont want to bother their friends (or the friends have just got bored with them). If it was just background pain I had, I'd probably feel the same as you, but mine has serious episodes which make me feel really tired no matter how much I try to ignore it. Then its like a constant companion that phones you at 3am every day.. imagine that..
  • by the way i have absolutely no support from work. they don't want to know or hear or anything about my pain. in fact, having pain so bad it affects my disposition at work is unacceptable to them. i don't hit, or yell at my students buy i have less empathy for the bad kids at time. when they get bad, i kick them out of class, but my principal thinks this is bad, especially since i have a small class. even my co-workers don't care. when i went into hospital, no effort to see how i was doing except one person who called. i think this goes on a lot with people in pain's work environment
    thanks for the support
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • I agree with you!! Mine, I think, is a jealous "frenemy". When I ignore it, and carry on with life and get out and do things, it makes me suffer, more often than not. But that's okay, I'm strong, and don't let it get to me. It's worse if I do, it just nags and nags and nags... So I just keep on keepin' on!!!
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
This discussion has been closed.