Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Tooth infection and back surgery

BarMcBBarMc Posts: 24
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I'm a new member and just wondered if anyone knew if a tooth infection could get into your metal work in your neck and back if you have had a previous episode of infection after surgery?

The reason is that I am suffering from a tooth infection and I am also having a lot of terrible back pain and after my last lumber surgery I developed an infection and I was in hospital for a number of weeks and the consultant at the time said the infection could come back but that was a number of years ago now ( 9 yrs)

Thanks for your help

• my doctor postponed my sugery due to my white count being to high he said the risk is to high of infection setting in around the metal.If that happens they might have to remove hardware
  • Hi again,
    Thanks for your comments - I will see how I go on when I have finished the antibiotics he has put me on as I am in an awful lot of pain. I'm on max dose of Tramadol and have been taking Paracetamol and still needed Sevredol (morphine) in the night so really keeping my fingers crossed it is because I am unwell and not gone into my back.

Had 2 x Lumber Surgery the latter with syn cage and also developed an infection
    2 x Neck Fusions
    Gall Bladder removal
  • I was told from both my surgeon and the dentist that because I have hardware in, that it is important to take 4 x amoxicillin (antibiotics) 1 hr prior to any dental work. This goes for even a clean and check up.
    We had a long discussion on this quite a while ago and the consensus was that most patients were told the same if they asked and it is better to be safe then sorry.
    This is also usually ordered for anyone with a heart condition (dont remember which one) and also for hip replacements.
    I was also told by my surgeon to have a check up about 6 weeks prior to surgery.
    Blessings Sara