Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Cerival discectomy - artificial disc - should I do it?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Scheduled for cervical surgery but not sure I should do it - artificial disc at C5-6 and one level lower - dr. said could do artificial discs . . . but no longer have pain in the arm - just numbness/frostbite feeling in 3 fingers on right hand. Limits doing detail work and writing/painting for long period but can live with it.
Call me chicken - but is it worth going thru the surgery to try and get the feeling back -- can't imagine going on thru life with my primary hand like this but have to admit am chicken about having the surgery! Esp when actual pain threshold is so low -- tried epidural, acupunture with no resolution.
Any suggestions - afraid if wait too long will loose any opportunity to have it resolved . . .
Between a rock and a hard place . . .

• Hi Pam,
    Yes this is a very scary decision. I had ADR in 2004 and it worked great for me. I am in he Brian Disk study. It was painful but nothing compared to the lumbar surgery I had. I was out shoping and going to lunch within three days. I have no regrets. But am still having problums in lumbar from car rear ender and surgery..

Good luck to you, hope this helps.
    Who is doing your surgery?
  • …about 3 weeks ago. My pain is going away and the recovery is amazing with ADR. A few uncomfortable days. Some headaches. Some medicine that makes you feel dumb. And it's back to normal life and feeling better everyday. That's been my experience so far. Being in the hospital is scary no doubt and it was a hard decision...but according to my doctor, i would eventually need surgery. And since I can't stand not knowing, i thought i'd get it over with. If you do decide to do it, all you can do is do your research, get the best surgeon you can and just go with it. Let the drs and nurses do their thing. Just my opinion. Good luck and if you have any ?s feel free to post em. (if you get the Prestige implant it needs to be screwed in straight or level... a good surgeon is important) -Nicho
  • Aren't you worried about it becoming permenant and/or progressing? I think I would do the surgery with a surgeon who has a lot of experience doing them. I'm looking into lumbar ADR and frankly wish I had a cervical issue instead.....

Good luck with your decision. :)