Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Re: CT Scan Results

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in New Member Introductions
I already have arachnoiditis and had a 4 level laminectomy and a 4 level fusion at the lumbar spine with placement of rod, pedicales and screws in November 2007. Arachnoiditis was found on my MRI 3 months post surgery. Recently, I have had servere numbness and pain prinarily in my right shoulder, arm and hand. I also have less severe in my left arm and hand. Numbness and tinglking occurs worst at night when sleeping and intermittently during the day, especially as arms are raised to the waist level or above. Tingling in hands are mostly continuous. The recent cervical CT scan revealedSevere C-5-6, C-6-7 degenerative disk disease and moderate inferior facet arthgrosis.Foraminal narrowing at C-2-3-4-5-6 and 7. None at C-7-T-1. Visualized soft tissue structures notable for left thyroid hypodensity measuring up to 1.7 cm. Moderate C-5-6, C-6-7 discogenic spondylosis, primarily owing to posterior disc/osteophyte bulging. High grade bilateral neural foraminal narrowing primarily owing to uncinate hypertrophy, with bilateral C4 foraminal nerve root impingement. Intermediate bilateral C5-6, C6-7 neural foraminal narrowing, also primarily to uncinate hypertrophy, with existing nerve root impingements. Mild to severe disc and mild to moderate facet cervical degenerative disease. Can anyone interpret what this actually means in more layman terms and what options there are for me. The MRI revealed 3 herniated discs as well. After my extreme complex lumbar spinal surgey, I am not inclined to having surgery again. I spent almost 1 year on the couch barely able to do anything at all. I walk with a cane and last about 50 yards before the pain increases to high and I have to recline. Standing and sitting erect are limited to 30-45 minutes. Could this be my disease progressing? I already had a total left wrist fusion and carpal release in 1998 and subsequently developed RSD now known as CRPS. That affects my left hand and up my left arm with burning, numbness and extreme discoloration intermittently. The arachnoiditis causes lower extremity buring pain down the back of my legs with parthesia in my right hip, right calf and both feet affecting my balance. I am a mess but have an extremely good mental state, positive attitude and total acceptance of my conditions. I have no idea why but I do. I simply chose to have this attitude rather than live a life of self-pity and bitterness. What procedures can be considered fopr me now with respect to my new CT findings? Thanks for any input. I consider cervical fusion as an absolute last resort. Maybe nerve block, epidurals or I read about a foramenectomy. Not sure what are the options. I do not see my spine Doc until May 30 and I am just overly interested in any options and the meaning for my CT scan. Thanls again.

• Looks to me as if your disease is progressing and it can do so quickly. The shoulder, arm and hand pain is most always caused by nerve impingement in your neck and if conservative treatment (PT, Chiro, ESI's) don't work, then an ACDF is really the only option left. The problem with that type of nerve impingement is, the longer the nerves are compromised, the greater the risk of permanent nerve damage that can result in a lame arm (more or less).

My advice would be to let your Doc know that you want to get after this PRONTO, and then don't delay in complying with what he recommends.
  • hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i cannot help you with your report but i can assure you i know of the pain you speak of. ~X( having a happy spirit can be the best medicine ever!! :D please keep us posted of your results and stop by anytime. Jenny :)