Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Neak pain and serious headaches

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I just found this site and thought maybe someone would have advice for me. Last year I was at home and I stretched, nothing fancy, I tilted my head to the side and my neck popped. By the end of the night I felt like I had an ice pick in my head at the base of my skull. I went to the ER because it was making me sick too. Its gotten a little better but by the end of the night I feel nauseous and my head hurts so bad I can't do anything. The pain always sits at the base of my skull. How can I keep living like this? I've done PT, it helped some, and chiropractor, helped some but its so bad. I've always had neck and back problems but I've been able to deal with it. I tried taking muscle relaxers, anti inflamatorys, tylenol, excedrin, nothing helps. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thank you!

• Have they done any x-rays or mri's on your neck at all? Told you exactly what your dealing with? Do you have discs herniated or is it just muscle spasms?
  • Hey Khoffman,
    Boy do I feel your pain!I too have horrible headaches due to my neck.Most recently one lasted for 6 days.I will get nauseous when I turn my head a certain way.I can hear a weird sound when I move my head! I have had 2 cervical fusions(C5-C6,C6-C7) and have bulging disks at C1-C2&C2-C3) I just had another MRI for terrible pain at the base of my skull and top of my shoulders.I go for cervical injections the end of May.As far as any relief for the headaches,wow,there's not any meds that I already take that can even touch them. A hot shower and a flexiril and just lie down and rest.I have started noticing what I do,seems like lifting even a gallon of milk makes my neck strain. I would request an MRI and take it from there. I had headaches before I had my C5-C6 fusion,they went away after the suregery.(I've always had migraines,but the neck ones are different)The neck ones returned about 2 years ago. Hopefully you and I will both find some kind of relief. They are killer,I know. Keep me posted if you find something to make them stop!
  • i've been having one these headaches for about atleast a monthe straight it feels like. has any one ever had any swelling or numbness in the face with these as well?-i do have a neurologist appointment but its not until june 26--the earliest one!

• I've had a CT scan and xrays, they said nothing showed up, I don't have a any bulging or herniated discs. They first said it was just muscle spazms...but if it is why doesn't my stretching and exercises work. And why don't the muscle relaxers work? I don't get it.

I've never had numbness in my face, thank fully.

And wow Saghen! I hope you find some relief soon too! Maybe I'll have to ask about an MRI...
  • Gentle stretching and exercising is required, but the missing element is treatment for the tight muscles that are causing the lower skull headaches.
    I get these too, as well as the sides of the skull.
    You probably have knotted muscles in your back, and these are causing the neck muscles to tighten.
    Get yourself to a remedial massager who will quickly locate the damaged muscles and will then gently stretch them out to get rid of the knots.
    Should work very quickly.
    Once this is done, continue at home with the GENTLE stretches and exercises. Always do these slowly, carefully, and with only small movements initially.
    Neck popping is a normal occurrence, and is just an air release. Like cracking knuckles.
    But the movement was enough to put your already tight neck muscles into fight mode.
    I'm quite sure that your problem is simply a muscular one, very common but not always recognised.
  • Sorry your having issues.
    I also have neck pain w/ headaches.
    I just found out yesterday after a WOW exam I am calling it from a new pain managment dr that its my facet joints on each side of the vertabrae. They are inflammed and not likeing my body very much right now.
    In my neck at C/7 and my lumber L/3.
    So I am having a set of nerve block injections to see if that helps. He pushed on the sides on my neck and I just about went up off the table and got an instant headache. I had it all night. ugghh.
    Not saying this is what your issue is.
    Always if possible I would get some more answers if all other treatments have failed for you..
    Good luck!!! :)