Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

How bad is this?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery

I recently received a report from my doctor following form filling exercise where I had to say what I can and can't do.

Anyway, reading it back to myself, checking my grammar and spellings it made me go cold.
It sounded awful. It is all true, not exaggerated in any way at all. Then it made me think mentally I had not properly connected to what has happened to me. Then I wondered if this was a good thing.

I can't really sit for longer than 20 minutes, I hang my bum on the end of high tables and window sills. I walk slowly with a cane. This is because my foot is numb, my brain doesn't know where the foot is so I stumble. I also am unsteady, walk like I am drunk. I am in constant pain, although this wains and waxes (I think that's what you say) over a 24 hour period. I am lucky to get 2 hour total cover in 24 hours of pain control. I take medication every 2 hours.

Basic household chores are limited or not done. It takes me a lot of effort to get dressed. I do not like having to change until bedtime, trying clothes on or gowns in hospital, that kind of thing. I drive for 30 minutes max or the pain kicks in big style and I suffer 2x as bad a few hours or days later.

If I have bowel movement or even wind, my sciatic nerve flares off.

I am becoming fearful (but not neurotic) about my pain. I have adapted my diet, I avoid tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, that kind of thing.

I have tried really hard to be positive and take each day as it comes but I am very physically limited. I know some of the restrictions are self imposed but every so often I do push the boundaries to see how things go but just get very, very sore and wish I could take an escalator to heaven as it takes days (up to 10) to settle the pain to a half manageable level.

I Consider attending the ER at times too, just looking for respite from the pain but then I talk myself out of it because they will just consider me neurotic or druggie or worse.

How does that seem to you?
My gauge is all wrong. I don't know what to do.
Should I be making a lot more noise complaining or am I just the same as everyone else here on the boards?

Sorry for the long post. I am bit fed up.

• Thank you for your kind words.

Today I feel like having a really good scream!

Interesting comment about the other effects from pain. I get bad palpitations too, breathless. I know it is all linked, never really thought how. I will go next time I Feel so awful.

I awoke at 4am, took all my meds (I have resorted to listing the times and doses) so I know when I have taken a max daily dose on a particular drug to avoid an accidental OD. I have done that once already!

I have made an appt to go back to see my GP to see if they can push anything more. It is going to be weeks before I hear anything and months before I get to see my doc who seems to be one calling the shots, unless i get a good assessment from the rehab unit once i finally get there.

Oh the joys.
    What ever did I do to be here??!
  • hi ill start by saying im english so if my writing is a bit hard to follow thats why. im a spondy and after reading your post i can really imagine what your going through. as im going throught the same but with 1 advantage im getting a fusion in 3 months time. so im not at that failed part yet but could be. if all goes wrong for me as it as for you. then ill be were you are and i find that thought hard to handle. im sorry i carnt help but i can understand your frustration and pain hope you find an answear soon tready
  • it's one of those days :S

you are an asset to us and have great things to say. We DO all have some of those things going on as well

you are not alone it's just tough when we look at the whole picture sometimes and some days just seem worse....take it easy in your brain too :?

hugs coming your way >:D< >:D< >:D<
    I'm feeling very "huggy" today