Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

MoonbabyMMoonbaby Posts: 44
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I started using Mederma for my scar on May 7th per the PA's instruction. Has anyone used this product and gotten good results? So far it seems to make me itch temporarily, then sluffs off a layer of skin. Haven't seen much change in size or color of the scar, however.

• My Dr. recommended I use Scarguard. I looked at the price and it was too much for me to use (~$23 per tube). I chose Mederma (store brand), and added hydrocortisone cream (a component od scarguard). Check w/your surgeon's office they may be able to recommend something, especially since you seem to be allergic to the Mederma.
  • Mederma works on some people, but they instruct you apply it several times a day for optimal results. Their new product has a sunscreen in it which is great for sun-exposed scars; it keeps sun-exposed scars from getting hyperpigmented (darkened). Some people get allergic to Mederma - its made from onion skin. A better way to go is to cover scars with silicone sheeting material. CVS makes a generic variety, 12 pads for 24.99 in the bandage section, or you can buy Biodermis or CicaCare online. You can cut the pads to sizes just large enough to cover your scar, and each pad can stay on for several days. It will only work if you use it for 2-3 months, but for people who are prone to thickened scars it does help, plus it helps scars fade from pink to a lighter skin color sooner. Only use these products once the skin has completely healed over from the surgery (stitches/staples out, steristrips off), don't use them on open wounds. If you are allergic to adhesive in the pads, you can buy the silicone as a gel in Kelo-cote or Cileosil. All scar treatments take several weeks to months to work, so I would expect to see improvement in ten days!