Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New Intense Pain - Please help!!!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
I have Spondilothesis, the shooting leg pain, etc. I've lived with it a long time, this is something entirely different.

Due to the problem above, I am no stranger to muscle spasms. Something new is happening and it is so intense!!

It started this morning with a small amount of pain right in the middle-right of my back. What is strange is that it has been intensifying all day. I've never had my back pain develop this way and by 10:00 p.m. it is more intense than any muscle spasm I've ever had. It doesn't stop, there is no position for relief. I've always been able to take a muscle relaxer and pain medication for some relief and find a lying position which really helps.

The meds and position don't phase this. I've tried a cold pack and I've altered to heat, nothing. I'm almost scared. I can't believe I feel this way but I'm very confused. I am about 70% sure it is muscle pain, but I'm not certain; i don't want to overreact, it could just be a different strain than I've ever had, but I'm also worried it could be something else.

This is long-winded, sorry!

Bottom line, is there something my doctor can do in the morning to alleviate this pain immediately? Do injections stop pain quickly?

This will sound ridiculous, but I have friends traveling across the country for a fishing trip starting Thursday and I have to be able to function. I can stop activity, rest, all those things on Monday, but I have to get through this weekend.

Do you think a TENS unit could get me through? I don't know how intense of a pain they can relieve.

• welcome jhawker23, i am sorry u are having such new pain and i dont have any personal info about pain injections but i do have a tens unit. for me being fused c3-c7 about 2 yrs now the tens unit seems to offer only tempory relief. i only use it about 20 minutes each hour for about 3 to 4 hours. maybe others can have a comment that might help u. i wish u luck and relief from your pain. btw hope u catch alot of big fish >:D< .
  • I got a pain similar to what you describe,but mine started yesterday morning.It's up between my shoulder blades,but not quite that high,and very slightly,,,just the barest off to the left is a knot that feels like a bone(so my BF says,I can't reach it because of bad shoulder).Now I don't know if this knot has anything to do with the pain,and it is starting to subside somewhat now...thankfully,but I think I may have pulled a muscle.

In your case,with your pain coming sudden and severe(mine did too,but I didn't have a trip planned),you might consider calling your Dr to ask what,if anything,you can do for relief.Explain the fishing plans because friends traveling across the country for a fishing trip is something that a Dr WILL understand.Maybe the nurses won't be AS sympathetic as the Dr.,but.........

Do you HAVE a TENs? If so give it a try.It could help,but when those spasms get that bad it's my opinion that the tens won't help much,and you might need a combination of different treatments.Good luck---with the spasms,AND the FISH.
  • hiya >:D< Welcome To Spine health >:D< Sounds like your back has gone into spasm :? ,i would rest today I) , and do try a tens machine O:) and some pain relief to get you through the weekend :) . have you done anything to agrivate your back lately? :? or even twisted a little sharply or stood up for a long time? :/ what medication do you take? :/ Keep me posted! >:D< :)

Angie :H
  • i would say that i dont think that i will help you from what you have said it seams to be beyond the scope of a normal TENS ..you may get some relief from the acticare this is a TENS and an external spinal cord stimulator ..worth a shot ..as you can send it back if if is no good for you.
This discussion has been closed.