Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Do you know what caused your pain?

Cath111CCath111 Posts: 3,702
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
I ask this question because I just figured mine out (well, one aspect, anyway).

Last Saturday: I bit the bullet and played 9 holes of golf for the first time since last summer when I started having problems associated with my cervical spine issues. It went great - first two holes I could tell I hadn't played in a while, then my game started to get back to the semi-crappy game I've always had.

Sunday: I felt great. So great in fact, that I did some significant yard work, including lifting large bags of mulch, bending over pulling weeds, etc. I figured I'd probably pay for it, but dang my yard looks good.

Monday: I still felt great. I couldn't believe it - all that lifting and bending and I felt great. So great in fact, that I stood in my kitchen and hand-washed a bunch of pots and pans, grilling tools, knives, etc.

Monday night: OUCH! Lower back is killing me.

Tuesday: OUCH! Lower back is killing me.

So, it looks like I figured it out, at least my sciatic pain. I can't stand for very long or it comes roaring in like a hurricane. Can you believe that? BLT - fine. Standing - not so much.

Do you know what caused your pain?

• I blame Mr. Ash.

Mr. Ash was my junior high band director who decided I should play drums. Of course I loved it. And in high school I wanted to do more and do marching band. So I marched with huge a$$ heavy drums for the next 7 years (because after high school I just had to do college marching band).

I could've played something else, like, say... a piccolo. But no, Mr. Ash made me a drummer.

So I blame Mr. Ash for my pain.

... so it's me. My posture sucks, I love drumming and I sleep in a hunched over fetal position.

But it's more fun to blame Mr. Ash.
  • It is just wonderful that you were able to do so much and it's great that you found one thing to avoid!
    I can't stand in one spot long at all. It's like my feet are glued to that spot and i have savage pain from my waist down to my feet. Then I find it very hard to pick up my feet and bend my knees.
    My foot and leg pain is with me 24/7 and thare is not much i can do to ease it up except take drugs!! But I will be getting my stimulator implant soon and that will take care of my foot and leg pain!! Yippeeee <:P Whoo Hoo =D> Oh happy day!!
    Oh Cath, my friend I can't wait!! I sure gonna be one very happy lady.
    Sending you a hug... >:D<
    Patsy W
  • I have moderate s-shaped curvature and already had degeneration at 18 years old...so what did I do?? Had 5 children. Now here I am with annular tears, bulging discs, narrowing of spinal canal, severe degeneration, and multiple pinched nerves. I had no business having 5 kids so close together. Would I change it now to be pain free? HELL NO. I am so glad I had these 5 little girls (Yes 5 girls...my poor husband when they are teenagers and dating ~X( )
    Will I have anymore kids? HELL NO. =))

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,839
    Cathie, most importantly is how you are feeling physically and how you are dealing emotionally with your lost buddie. You do know you have your new buddie, my never replace what you had, but I am sure the love and affection is there.

What caused my problems?

Too many years of playing foot ball and not having the proper conditioning that goes along with playing sports, especially contact sports.

My daily routine would be get to the gym with other football players and started to lift as heavy a weight can be and do it as fast and often as we can.
    Instant Bulk up!!!! Good???
    Short term, sure, we could hand out team roosters that listed the lineman all over 210 pounds!
    Long term... Nope, the ongoing abuse I took back then played a huge role in how I started with spinal problems.

Do I regret those days? Nope, I loved each and every moment. But, what I do regret is that we were not properly trained. I put together a small article about what that all entailed and one of our members is going to use that at a youth sports program.

I would never discourage a boy or girl from playing the sport that they want to. But I will harp on proper training and conditioning
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • Boy, when we look back on our lives, it's amazing the things you can remember that we now know took its toll.

About 15 years ago I took Tae Kwon Do for about four months. I even competed in a couple of tournaments and won them both. Training consisted of a LOT of jumping and kicking, of course, and I remember my very last class - we were jumping on a hard wood floor and on my way home I was crying because my lower back hurt so much. My Tae Kwon Do days ended then.

bluebeegirl - I'd blame Mr. Ash also. It's great that you have something you love so much (my husband is a drummer, too), and I hope you're still able to do it.

Patsy - I know about your problems and think about you often. I so look forward to the day when I can read your post that says your life has so improved and that you can again spend hours in the kitchen cooking without pain. That you can go outside and bend over to smell your beautiful roses. As always, thank you for the hug, my friend.

Jackie - Five little girls? Oh, my, your poor hubby. LOL Men have a hard time understanding females anyway but to have six in the house, well... I'm glad you made it through having all the kids, but sorry it's caused you so much back pain. I'm sending you gentle hugs.

PapaRon - Football is very rough on the body. I didn't know you played football - I hope they do better training these days. To let you know, I'm doing ok as far as losing my little friend. I still have days, but as I'm sure you know, little Wally is a handfull at 13 weeks old and requires a lot of time and attention. That helps keep my mind off my little Mercster and how much I miss him. Wally is a lot like Merc in some ways and that feels good too.

• i used to run, play tennis, swim. one day running, back hurt. never felt this pain. tried to stretch it out did not work. pain came and went for a few years, then whalah, it turned into sciatica which came and went, then mostly was here. went on meds, then surgery. it's been about 11-12 years since it started
    sports are notorious for pain. also have had shoulder surgery with back surgery. now i can't do sports.
    I have 4 fusions from L5-3, the latest last May '12 where they fixed my disc that broke.They went through my side this time. I take 40 mg of oxycontin 4x a day and 4 fenatyl lollipops 300 micro gms 4x a day.
  • Feline obesity caused my pain. All I did was pick up a fat cat. I still love him, though. ;)

• LOL. This is the first time since I joined that I've seen your avitar as something other than an SCS.

Very cute cat!
This discussion has been closed.