Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Sneezing during recovery

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,622
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone. I am 7 weeks postop from L5S1 fusion with hardware, and have just recently started sneezing. How can I sneeze without it feeling like I am going to break my fusion and loosen the hardware? Also my doc released me from wearing the brace last week, and i actually felt great for 5 days, but then started hurting more than when I wore the brace. I am worried because I thought the longer in your recovery the better you should feel. I am now scared that I am not heeling as good as I thought. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
advertisement

Comments

• Allergies are one big reason I turned down a spring date (May 12th) for my surgery. I am waiting until summer when I can get past the bad part of allergy season.
  • Going to call Doc tomorrow, but in meantime sneezing is brutal.
  • After my 2nd microdiscectomy, I started taking Zyrtec and Flonase (nasal spray). Take allergy meds to control your sneezing. I, also, was prescribed oral med (pills) for coughing related to allergies.
  • Could be as simple as allergies like the other posters said, but also if you are tapering off meds, can be a side effect of that.

The brace-if you have hardware you are internally braced and the brace is usually just to keep you from doing what you're not supposed to. So not wearing it you might hurt more-you're probably twisting without realizing it and also those muscles are weak and have been dependent on the brace for support. Just my thoughts about it.

Good luck, hope things feel better for you!
  • I agree with ernurse. Especially about the brace. They are good reminders to not do the BLT thing, but your core gets weak and then you have to desl with that. I never wore a brace, but I've read that some people have weaned off of the brace. Maybe you could try the antihistamines while you use the brace partial days (until your core muscles get built up again)? Check with your doctor though about both issues and see what they suggest. Good luck!
  • Hunter80,

Sneezing is brutal. My doctor told me to hold a pillow tightly against my stomach when you are going to sneeze. He also said to try not to suppress the sneeze because you actually tighten the muscles in the back when you try to stop it from comming. He assured me that although it hurts, it would not do damage to the fusion but may pull the muscles in back instead.

39 yr. old mother of 5 Children, 20,19,14,14,9
    Lumbar strains: 1995, 1997, 1998

Major injury: 2002, 2 herniated disc w/tears, DDD, Spinal Stenosis, Major nerve damage in both legs.

Treatments included: Celebrex, Bextra, Ralaphin, Flexril, Naproxin, Motrin, Ultram, Steroid injections, Nerve Blocks, Physical Therapy, Aqua Therapy, specific exercise regimen, loss of 70 lbs.

Surgery: May 2009 ALIF of L5-S1 with titanium cage and 4 screws, no bone,Pro-Disc at L4-L5

Current Meds: Vicadin 5mg/500, daily aspirin, calcium supplement, senicot, bone growth stimulator
advertisement