Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Urine Hesitency? CES ?

nursedina001nnursedina001 Posts: 235
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
For the past few days I have been having urine hesitency- I can urinate - but it takes me a few minutes to get the flow going. I have to actually concentrate on peeing - it seems like it is going to start, then it doesn't and i have to sit there for a few minutes and really concentrate befor eit actually starts.

Can this be CES? I did call my NS and am waiting a call back

• Hopefully your Dr. has gotten back to you! I had the same thing, but mine wasn't CES. I just had surgery a little over 2 weeks ago, and it hasn't happened since. My problems are at L5...with yours being higher, it may be more of a chance of CES. I had the same thing...I felt like I had to go every 5 minutes, then I sat and sat. Like you I had to concentrate on getting it going (literally I would sit up to 10 minutes b/c I couldn't get up---it felt like it was right there, but I couldn't let it go)and then when I did (not sure if you have this), I would go just a little. It was frustrating and scary. In my surgery they found I had a bone fragment and scar tissue messing w/my nerve root. I do also have permanent/lingering sensation issues on the left side of "that" area, so I suspect that I have some altered urethral sensation/muscle response. I hope they get back to you soon so you can relax or have the problem addressed!! Let us know! :) -Andrea
  • When you finally can urinate, are you still relaxing and the urine finally comes out or are you bearing down with your ab muscles? I just found out my bladder is "dead", for lack of a better word. It doesn't do squat. No spasms, no emptying, nothing. Little did I know that the only way I've been urinating is that I take big breaths and bear down with my abdominal muscles. We have no idea how long this has been going on. Ugh.

I would definitely make sure you talk to your doc tomorrow. Did you recently increase any meds? I had temporary urinary numbness when switching doses once, but it only lasted 4 hours.

Take care,

• You described it just like I go through every day. No one has ever seemed worried about it, besides me. I told my NS, my pcp, and a urologist who cared only if I was able to eliminate.
    I hope you find out something that could help you end this frustrating side effect.