Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Nerve pain is just weird

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I don't know how else to describe it.
My injury and surgery is still so recent, I am trying to adjust to this new life. Trying to come to grips with just how you recover from this. (Herniated L3-4)
Pain is much better but still there. I guess I'm just so anxious for fast improvement and of course what I'm stuck with is molasses sloooooooow.
I finally walked about a half mile yesterday in one shot. Had a small incline and decline. On the decline, I noticed my leg still wants to give way which is scary. I am so thankful that at least one of my legs is ok, however I have noticed a bit of pain to my right knee as well. I am thinking because it is taking up the slack for the left one now.
The weirdness...like a burning rope wrapped tightly around my knee. The strange sensations I have never felt before and never care to feel again.
And not having the same feeling "down there". Only tried it once pre-surgery and was shocked when things didn't work right. Didn't even realize until then, that I was having numbness there too. Terrified to try it again.....*sigh*
The knowledge of just how quickly your life can change and does. The worry that it will never be the same. The feeling of gratitude, because at least...I am one of the lucky ones.
I don't know where this rambling is going..........but there you have it.

• Welcome to the forum. Your post reminds me when I had my back surgery. The nerve pain was the worst in both my legs, all the way down to my feet. It got so bad I went to the ER. I was about two months post op. Now when I had the Tumor surgery eight months later the was nerve pain in my right hip and leg. Sometimes it felt like water was on my leg and then there was the sharp pains that didn't last long but came close together.

Sorry, just had to give my two cents worth. Have a really great day.

Evelyn :H
    Had PLIF in 2008 and a Laminectomy. One level fusion, L4-L5.
  • She forewarned me that I might have pains and feelings that I hadn't before the surgery. After a week the new aches and burning feeling popped up in different areas of my leg (even the lower back and buttock).

Like few people commented here, my doctor also said that I would be pain-free aftan er my microdiscectomy at L5 S1. I wished that my doctor told the wide-range in individual's recovery to give me a realistic version of postOp.

I have healed quite nicely but I didn't get the instant relief (solution) after the surgery as mentioned by my surgeon.

Good luck...with time I hope that your pain will subside.....disappear :)
  • It's a monster. As soon as I woke up from surgery my main complaint was left arm pain. When I got home it felt like my arms were going to explode. None of the narcotics would take that pain away, it's a very scary thing. Mine has since calmed down but I have to take neurontin or it comes back. I hope yours settles down soon,

• It's really hard to treat, and it can come and go in wierd places. I have nerve pain in my left foot and it's so odd to think that it comes from my back. You should ask your doctor about medication to help with the nerve pain. Sometimes it works for people, sometimes it doesn't. The most common ones are Lyrica and Neurontin.

As far as numbness "down there", I have the same thing. It can be extrememly frustrating. At some points, I just give up on anything to do with that area. My nerve impingement is on my left L5 nerve root, so I actually have an "invisible line" there with the left without any sensation. So noticeable that I cannot feel toilet paper. (sorry if too much info) Keep an eye on that. If you're having a lot of "saddle" numbness/tingling (paresthesia) (all the areas that would touch a saddle),you need to let your Dr. know. Especially let them know in a hurry if you're having incontinence. Feel free to PM me, and I will be happy to help with any other info.
    :) -Andrea