Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Severe Leg/Back Pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671

I am new to the boards. Anyway; I had surgery last July for my herniated disc. My surgeon was only able to take partially some of the disc out (basically surgery was unsuccessful). I have nerve damage in two of my nerves in my left leg. I take Norco 10/325mg (6x day) and Neurontin 800mg/night & 600mg/day.

My pain seems to be getting worse and I can barely do anything. It hurts to walk and sit (and I am a data entry person). I walk with a cane and recently got a back brace (not sure if that is helping or making it worse). The pain level lately has reached anywhere between a 7-9. I get swollen ankles, numbness/tingling sensation in my lower left leg and into my foot. Yesterday out of nowhere I got this extreme shooting pain in my left thigh (level 9) that made my thigh slightly swollen and has a muscle bulg on the side. Couldn't even make it 8 hours at work yesterday. Still having trouble today walking on my left leg.

I have already tried epidural shots and those don't work.

My next surgery (spinal fusion) will be in October.

Should I call my pain management doctor to see if there is anything else I should do. Just need some opinions. Help Me!

• hi! :H i see this is your first post and i want to welcome you to the forum! we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. i am sorry your surgery was unsuccessful. :( you have awhile to wait for your next one.. have you tried Lyrica or any of the other nerve pain medicatons? :? talk to your doctor about it and if you are in pain certainly talk to your pm!!. :-C good luck and i hope you are feeling better soon. :D Jenny :)
  • :H I'm so sorry for your pain! I just lost my job due to being unable to take the sciatic pain in my left leg -- I was out too much. So, the fact that you are working your data entry job with pain levels of 8 and 9 is amazing to me. I found that you really can't concentrate on your work when the pain is competing for your attention.

I would contact your pain management doctor and see if there is anything else that can be done for you. I assume you're icing or heating, massage, acupuncture, exercise, etc. along with your meds to try and soothe the pain away.

I know how you feel -- I'd go to a witch doctor if it would help get rid of the chronic pain.

Keep us posted on your progress and write anytime.
  • boy you sure have to wait a long time for your surgery in the fall. that's a shame. i can't help you on the medication front because narcotics don't help me. however i can tell you that neurontin can cause fluid buildup. i was on it for years and it blew up my feet like baloons. my dr. didn't know what caused it so i did some internet research and found the cause. NEURONTIN
    the only thing i found to help cramping is stretching. that's not easy when you're hurting. for your upper thigh lie flat on your back and straighten your leg out as much as you can. at the same time bend toes up towards your knee. hold it as long as you can. if it hurts try to keep it held as long as you can. tell yourself even if thIs hurts it's strengthening my leg and eventually loosening the muscle tightness
    next, while still on back bend your right leg with foot on floor. with left leg straight lift it up to a height that doesn't strain you too much. lift and lower your leg. initially try about 3 sets of ten lifts. if you are able increase reps ....if you can.
    next...are you stiill there }:) }:) }:) ...sit on chair with another chair in front of you. put left leg on front chair and straighten leg. bend your chest towards your leg. do 3 sets of ten. all these are for your bad left leg. to keep your body even also do them for your right leg.
    at work try putting your left leg out straight on a chair straighten and loosten it now and then to prevent cramping. do this as you are working at your desk.
    there are drugs that reduce cramping but for me stretching is more effective...and no bad side side effects!
    by the way what level of the spine were you operated on? L4?
    i have lots of experience with this. almost every muscle in both legs is crampy and painful like your thigh.
    hang in there. don't get down. we're on your side!
    well got to run now and strech some more.
    good luck image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> image:)" alt=">:)" height="20" /> pete