Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

So sad -- lost my job today due to being out so much

deltaladyddeltalady Posts: 610
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Matters of the Heart
O:) Well, the good fight is over -- I tried to hang on to my job but was out so much they had to let me go. They were a very understanding group but business is business and they needed someone who could do the job.

I fought hard to get this job in March of 2008 and all my health issues started in the fall -- first the foot issue (had surgery for an inflamed nerve)immediately followed by the severe pain in the back of my thigh (turned out to be herniated disk) 3 epidurals later, still hanging in there. What was the killing point was I developed some sort of severe fatigue with dizziness and nausea about six weeks ago and that put the nail in my coffin at work. I could barely make it to work. Of course, I've been to several doctors in an attempt to figure out what's going on with me but no answer to date and I'm spending lots of time in bed resting. I just can't believe that after fighting so hard to make it to work with sciatic pain that I get something else to make me miss more work.

I'm kind of relieved that it's over because I've been so stressed out worrying about losing my job due to health issues that I think the extra stress did me in.

Why do I feel like such a loser right now?! =(( I've always had a great work ethic and pride myself on doing the best possible job and this really bothers me, even though I know that I had no idea of why or how I got a herniated disc or why other health problems have developed. People who haven't suffered with back and sciatic problems think you're just a big baby -- I wouldn't wish this on a dog!

I'm babbling, I know -- just so frustrated and sad.

Could use a few words of support right now -- Thanks for the ear!

• I'm sorry about your losing your job. I was laid off in February when I was just starting to go back part time after my surgery.

I don't want to use the word "loser", so I'll say this: Of course it's very depressing: losing a job is one of the major stressors in life, along with losing a loved one, moving, divorce, and losing your health. You've got (at least) two very major things going on and it's very hard, especially now at the beginning of another stressor.

My cervical spine issues just popped up out of the blue last year, too. You're just rolling along, everything's great, then WHAMMY - you're hit with major health issues.

I don't think there's anything I can say to make you feel better right now, but just want you to know I'm here for you along with everyone else here at Spine-Health. I've often wondered what I'd do if I didn't have this place to come to - where people understand and actually listen when you need it.

So, babble on. We'll listen.

Big hugs,
  • Hi Deltalady,

Im sorry to hear that you lost your job. But dint your job had a FML to cover you? they cant just fire you because you sick? and what about medical coverage? what are you going to do?

Im also going thought the same pain. I agry with you no one who ever had experianced this pain will understand. And you right about work, work is work.

I m on fml my self and also scared to lose my job, to only think that is defferent in my case this is work releated, but I m steal scared and there is not one day that im home and i didnt think of it.
  • Dear Deltalady,

I'm so sorry to hear of this. I know how you are feeling; I lost my job too at the end of March. It wasn't due to being out, as I dragged myself in everyday, but because of the lack of business coming in. I worked there as a paralegal for 5 years. I've been in the legal profession for 19 years, and when the money isn't rolling in, it's always the paralegals that get screwed. This was particularly painful because I adored the job and my boss. I sat by this man's side when he had heart surgery last year as I considered him a friend as well. However, money is the bottom line.

But, in the end this works to my advantage as the unemployment I am collecting is MORE than I was making working b/c he had asked us to cut our hours a few months back.

So, we both need to look at this as an opportunity to deal with these nasty spine problems with our full attention. And your are right, I too felt some relief when I lost my job. Dragging yourself to work or worrying about being out isn't helpful.

REPEAT AFTER ME: YOU ARE NOT A LOSER!!! This, like most adverse things in life is a TEMPORARY setback. There are few people out there who haven't faced losing a job at some point in their lives. If there is anything I have learned in life is that things seem to happen for a reason, and when the dust settles, you're where you should be, which is better off than you started with.

Take the time to grieve and catch your breath. This is not the end of the world! You were one of the first people to welcome me here; please know that I care and that you can complain to me all that you want!

Big cyber hug,

Maryanne (a.k.a. Sugaree1209)