Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post posterior microdiscectomy c6-c7 nerve pain duration

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
My wife had a posterior microdiscectomy c6-c7 5/12/09. All went as planned, pain persisted. Prednisone and percoset regimum produced some relief. 1 day pain seemed nearly gone at completion of predisone cycle, and stretching out of percoset. Then back with a vengence last 2 days. The obvious issue is whether it is normal to have nerve healing pain over periods of time exceeding 2 weeks? The surgeon had said he removed a piece of the herniated disc that was actually right on the nerve and was confident he should have success. Scheduled for revisit 5/28/09. We need some encouraging words from fellow patients who can shed some light on typical nerve pain healing time. My wife is in quite a bit of pain, and gets discouraged easily. I appreciate any insight.

• Posterior cervical surgery is very painful to recover from. At two weeks I was still very miserable. It wasn't until 6 to 8 weeks post op before I felt tremendously more human. My surgery level was C1 and C2 for the decompression/ganglionectomy and C7-T1 for SCS related surgeries.

The surgeon should be more than happy to discuss any issues with your wife post op. A good pain diary helps with discussion of the situation as well as giving a good picture to the individual still suffering.

Nerve related pain can take quite a while to heal, especially depending upon how long it was compressed and how much damage was done.

Thanks for checking on things for your wife, she's very lucky to have such a caring husband.

• Thanks. The neck incision is healing fine, but the severe pain down the arm is causing the grief and doubt. I am encouraged that there was at least 1 pain free day so far, but seem to be concluding that the surgey area around the nerve is sensitive and once the predesone wears off the nerve is flairing up the pain while it heals. I also think she tends to do too much as soon as it lightens up a little. I think that's what we'll hear next week with surgeon visit, and am wondering how frequently the predisone cycle will be prescibed.
  • I had a posterior cervical fusion and had the nerve pain in the arms after surgery. My surgeon put me on Lyrica and it helped a lot. I still have nerve pain but not to the extent that it was after surgery. I am now taking neurontin. Maybe you should ask the surgeon about a nerve pain med.

• thanks all- getting list together for visit and call out to doc for interem med review...
  • Hi,
    I am looking at having a posterior cervical lam with diskecotomy and foraminotomy.

Has any one had this and what has your results been.

Thanks so much,
  • Doc placed her on proper anti inflamitory meloxicam and massive improvement. now off percoset and blancing between nerve healing and antiinflamitory medication. now 2.5 weeks after surgery and mild pain and slight numbness in 2 fingers and getting better. Able now to look back at how badly pain was prior to surgery and under prtednisone and how she is now 2.5 weeks following surgery. The neck surgery heal fantastic and the motion is nearly full in the neck. glad we chose not to have fusion and grateful this surgeon gave a choice and explained why.
  • Hi I had a posterior foraminotomy on 5/1 and my doc said it could take up to six weeks for nerve to heal and maybe more. He said to take anti inflammatories and he didn't want to see me prior to 6 weeks. I kep calling telling him I am in some pain but he said it is expected and nerve heals very slowly and not to be discouraged. I am 4 weeks post op and my incision is healed neck is no longer stiff but still have minimal arm pain and numbness. I will feel better when I get an MRI that shows no disc impingement :)
    Good Luck
  • Hi guys. No pain meds today yet because I want to know exactly what I am experiencing when I go to PT today. Ouch it hurts. Even my left arm above my elbow is hurting today. FIX ME!!!