Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

L5/S1 MicroD 8 months post op - new leg stmptoms

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi all - I had a microdiscectamy 9/15/08 and everything seemed to be going well for me. Then I was working out the other day(light dumbell stuff, nothing crazy)and later in the day i started to feel pins and needles in my leg. Yes, the leg that was originally effected by the herniated disc. I had experienced this early in my recovery, but not for a few months. Its been about 5 days now and the pins and needles and some slight numbness is still hanging around. Its not constant, but it does come and go throughout the day. No pain per se....Should I be concerned about disc reherniation or is it normal for my nerve to have issues this long after surgery? Thanks in advance for any info.

• Tony - if possible, I think you should back off from your workouts for a few days, do some icing and heat alternately, and see how things go. You may have caused some inflammation with your workout. If the problem persists, see your doc. They may try a medrol pack or something like that to see if it helps. I had a micro in December 2007. By June of 2008, my leg began to buckle from under me and the leg pain became severe. There is a chance you've re-herniated something, but it could just be inflammation pressing against the nerve. When in doubt, see the doc. I can only tell you what my experience was.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Thank you, Linda. I called my doc later in the day after I posted this question. He said the same thing you just said(maybe you missed your calling!). He said take it easy for a couple more days and if the symptoms are still hanging around, he will presribe me a oral steroid dosepak and go from there. Seems like deja vu all over again...Thanks again, Tony