Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Difference in Trigger injections/ESI

JoyJJoy Posts: 560
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Spinal Injections
This has probably been discussed on here before, but I missed it. What is the difference between these two treatments?

• Maybe I wasn't clear on my previous post, so I will try to ask the question better.

Is there a difference in Epidurals and trigger injections? My doc has mentioned both of them and I don't know that much about triggers.

I haven't been on here for a while, so I haven't gone through all the other posts on this issue. I would appreciate the help
  • An epidural is an injection, usually a steroid that is injected around the nerve where it comes out of the spinal column. Quite often it is done under floroscope to guide the needle to the right place.

A trigger point injection is easier and less risky as it is an injection into the muscle knot or trigger point. It is usually not a steroid, in fact some pain doctors do it dry, just inserting the needle. Other meds that can be injected is a Botox trigger point injection.
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    There are several types of Spinal injections:

ESI - Epidural Spinal Injection

These are the injections that are administered under operating room like environments. In addition to the doctor, there should be at least one or two nurses helping out.
    You will lay down on your stomach and they will normally give you some milf sedative via IV. Then the doctor with the aid
    of a Fluoroscope will guide one needle into place. Once that is done, the needle with the cortisone will be injected.
    This should take about 20 minutes. You then will be wheeled out into a recovery room where you will stay for 10-30 minutes. You vital signs are taken and you wll be released to a person that will drive you home.

Trigger Point

These are some of my favorite injections, because when they are given, the area is numbed and if you had knots in place, they will quickly dissolve.
    I have had countless Trigger point injections, ranging from my neck, elbow, thoracic, lumbar and knees
    I have always got immediate relief from these injections, but it is questionable how long that relief last
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • so much for responding! I was beginning to think my question was so stupid that no one took the time to answer. I've always received such good info from this site!

Thanks again!