Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

post op leg pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
hi folks,
one week post surgery for bilateral discectomy on L5/S1 ( having a slow hard recovery, but getting better every day on 15mg oxycontin, 10mg oxynorm every 2-3 hours, 1000mg paracetamol 4x daily, 5mg diazipam 3x daily and 20mg fluoxitine!~)My physio gave me exersizes to do lying on my back with my knees bent, but the second I relax(without tilting my pevis upward) into that position I get what feels like nerve pain (which I had from the first timeI tried it after surgey) in my left buttock and calf and now has started in the same position on the right side.Im beginning to have my legs ache all over.
For the first 3 days after surgery I couldnt turn over or walk or sit or stand because of extreme pain and I still cant sit for more than a few minutes.
The surgeon said he went in both sides to avoid the nerves and there was no complications, and says that it cant be nerve pain, but it certainly feels like it.Has anyone else experienced this?,one more thing, I had very little(close to none) lower leg pain before the surgery.
many thanks fellow spineys! xxxx

• but you may be having nerve pain because of inflammation to the area. Even if they didn't touch the nerve roots...they probably still made the area really angry! Hopefully things will decrease the further out from surgery you get. Talk to your doc about what you should be doing post op. Most times they JUST have you walking, no exercises. Maybe they'll have you lay off the exercises since this seems to make the pain worse? I had a 360 revision recently and was walking up to 4x/day from day 2. I actually felt better walking than sitting, and I think it's good for your circulation and to avoid blood clots. Check with them to see what they suggest, and also to keep them updated on your pain. Don't let them sweep you under the rug!
    Good luck! -Andrea