Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
I finally had Botox injections put in my neck and shoulders today. I have been dreeding this for weeks. They did 14 injections with the help of EMG, it was very painful. I've had a terrible headache all evening. I hope I get some relief from the muscle spasams.

• i remember the dull headache, but it didn't last for long. The other muscles spasmed something fierce...let your doctor know what kind of reaction you are having....i don't think they know how bad the after effect can be.
  • Don't freak out if you feel like you have the flu for a few days. I always felt like Cr@p for several days to two weeks after the injections.

I hope they help you!

• Did you guys get any relief from the injections?
  • It has been two days since I had the injections, the headaches and muscle spasms are unbareable. I just returned home from the ER. They didn't do anything. They said that due to me being on 100mcg of fentanyl and 80 mg oxycodone they couldn't give me anything. How long will this last?
  • I am sorry to hear about your reaction to the botox injections. I had 2 injections done last fall in my lower back. There was no pain during the injection or after. The long term result has been a reduction in overall pain and I would have another one done tomorrow if the insurance co would pay for it.
  • What you are experiencing is exactly what I had experienced. My normal routine of pain meds (ultram) was not sufficient to control the pain. My doctor allowed me to max. the daily allowance of ultram during that period - but to be honest - it didn't help -even max them out.

It is the only thing that I don't think I would repeat - but the results can be different for each person, so you have to try. "c" told me it lasted @12 days for her and if she wasn't right on. It last @ the same for me. The intense, can't hold your head up, muscle spasms, just want to lay your head down feeling.

Rest when you can and try and keep yourself distracted as best you can. It does pass, but when you are in the middle of it - it feels like forever.

Keep us updated, but know that you are not alone in the reaction from the injections. From what I have learned, the lower back can be a miracle for people without the pain after wards. But the neck holds up the head, and other muscles are now responsible for that and they are pissed off.

I read somewhere, that the neck portion of the spine moves over 600 times (or some high number like that) on a daily basis, it gets the most work than any other part of the body. Keep that in mind, as to why you are having all this pain, they have paralysed a muscle, or muscles and others now have to take over a huge responsiblity.

take care - patti
  • Thanks Patti, I don't know if I will go thru this again or not. Hopefully it will only last 12 days for me also. Thanks again.
  • Like Patti said, you are not alone in the reaction to this. I had excellent results from botox in my lower back, but disastrous results in my neck. I think I was brave/desperate enough to try them more than once in my neck based on how much success I had in my lower back. Unfortunately I had the same reaction in my neck each time and was kicking myself for trying it.

Rest when you can and that will give you about the best relief you can find. Distraction also does wonders.

• Thanks "C" I don't know if I will be brave enough to try this again. We are leaving Saturday for Myrtle Beach, I hope it feels better by then. Thanks for all the advice.
  • how you are doing bev - give us an update