Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Hey all New here with questions

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Chronic Pain
I am a 23 yr old female(about to be 24), mother of 2 with chronic lower back pain. I have had pain ever since i can remember, when I was younger I always felt like my back needed to be adjusted or cracked, so I cracked it a lot myself. Yes I know not good but it was the only thing that relieved pain(until it would come back of course) I have fallen numerous times, especially on my tail bone where it took my breath away. Other than that no accidents until recently. A year ago is when it really started getting bad. I was in pain everyday and one day while cleaning, I pushed something across the carpet in my living room and I heard a pop sound and it was sudden EXTREME PAIN for over 2 weeks, the pain continued and got bearable but constant almost everyday. It felt like I was learning how to walk again, my hips felt soo unstable and I actually fell down the stairs because of it. I was involved in a hit and run accident that gave me whiplash and a month later I am still having off and on pain in neck region and my arms feel shaky all the time.I cant stand, sit,bend or walk for long periods of time without pain in lower back, hips and back of legs. I have numbness in my right heel that comes and goes and my 3rd and 4th toe on the right foot sometimes feel like something is either wrapped around it or stuck in it and there is nothing there. I can feel and actually hear a clicking or rubbing sound in lower back, sometimes just sitting in a chair and moving slighty at all will start it up. it gets pretty loud sometimes and sometimes its very painful, sometimes its not. I dont know if its related to this or just normal, but I never had it before recently. Its quite scary to be honest, I really dont think it should do that.I have had xrays of lumbar spine showing no damage, but my mother who also has back problems with numerous surgeries never showed anything on her xrays either. She had her first back surgery at my age, with no injuries besides a car accident when she was 5. I have been to E.R with back pain numberous times, also went in to E.R thinking i had a blood clot in my legs because of numbness and pain in the back of my legs, not thinking it was from my back. The Dr there diagnosed me with Paresthesia with numbness and other dr diagnosed me with lumbosacral neuritis. I suffer all the time with pain and numbness, tingling. I have had pins and needles feelings in feet and legs ever since I can remember. I thought this was normal and recently was told that it isnt normal. I have an MRI scheduled in about a week from now, I am just wondering, what conditions do you think this can be? What if this test doesnt show anything and I am still in pain all the time? Im so frustrated with all of this, I am so young and I can barely bathe my 2 young children much less pick them up. My husband suffers from back issues also, so it has been very hard on both of us. Any advice and recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

• Hello and welcome to the Spine-health forum from another "chronic" participant!

After reading through your post a couple of times, I would recommend that you ask your primary care physician for a referral to a pain management Doc...whom in turn will most likely order x-rays, and an MRI and then based on the findings, your symptoms and history will set a course of action for you that may include meds, PT, Chiropractic, etc. with hopes alleviating your symptoms and of course...your pain.

Until then, don't do anything that increases your pain because there's always the risk of further injuring yourself in the process. Best wishes to you and keep us informed as to how things progress.

• Thanks so much for your support and input.. The waiting is the worst(besides the constant pain). It isnt as bad of a wait as some people have to wait though. Only 5 days til my appt. I just want some answers as to why I am in this pain all the time. I manage though..thanks for the tips, My mom went through back issues all her life and I seen what she went through, and prayed I didnt get what she had. Not looking too hopeful right now. Thanks again though.
  • Oh I did have my MRI already also, I had it Tuesday the 19th and my doctors appt is on the 28th..
  • I would think that your MRI will detail what your issues are, and it's a pretty safe bet that you've got some nerve impingement going on that's causing your symptoms. Ultimately, the nerves need to be decompressed one way or another and the symptoms will subside.

Hang in there and take one day at a time, and see any improvement as being a step in the right direction.

• I'm sorry to hear you're having all this pain. I'm sure they'll be able to see what's up in the MRI that don't show with xray. Take it easy with your back and maybe a support belt may help while tending to your children. Heat and alternating with ice is soothing on the back and leg. Take care. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Got my results back and Dr said it is a badly herniated disc at L5/S1. I didnt get all the details of everything, it was general medicine clinic and they referred me to neuro to look futher into it. They gave me Robaxin and Meloxicam.. Never tried them before. I hope they help. They also scheduled neck MRI for July 7th. Sure hope there isnt something wrong there too. Just updating on progress, will post more when I know more
  • that you are going through this at such a young age. I really hope you don't need surgery so soon. Keep us posted and we'll be thinking of you.
  • judging from your picture, you don't have a weight issue . I lost some weight and it really helped my back. The bad thing about disks that rupture, is that they don't seem to fix themselves very well. With the lateral toes bothering you, it points to your S1 area with strain. Don't lift anything heavy and let those kids walk, thats why God gave them feet :) keep us posted, we love to hear how your doing. try stretching your hamstring muscles (just below the buttocks) put your foot on a chair and slowly stretch the muscle by pulling your toes toward your head and a little forward bending if you can stand it.
    This puts your pelvis into neutral where it belongs by giving the muscles in that area a stretch and takes the strain off your lower back. It's easy to do and harmless if you go easy. Try it after a warm bath or shower to get those muscles warm. Be prepared for some mild stiffness the next few days but pain relief after that if it works. Also, try laying flat on your belly on the floor and raise your upper body up with your arms extended keeping your pelvis (beltline area) on the floor. It stretches the ABs and give you some lower back relief also.. Good luck.
    Save surgery for the last resort. But if you need it, you need it!
  • I am glad that you got some answers on your back pain. There are alot of conservative treatments you can do. Your neuro will advise you of what to do. I am not familiar with the meds you got, but hope that they help. Try not to bend twist or lift if you dont have to. Those are the things that aggrevate discs and what you are told not to do after surgery. Try a heating pad at night, and when laying on your side when you are sleeping, see if a pillow between your legs feels any better. And maybe one under your knees if on your back. I had fusion surgery and have a hospital bed so I can adjust my legs laying on my back, but I always have a pillow between my legs on my side. Also try not to cross your legs, it also puts pressure on your spine. Good Luck and keep us posted.
  • Well, based on your MRI results, it looks as though you're an excellent candidate for Pain Management...did your Doc bring that up or give you a referral to one?? What typically is the course of action, is some Chiropractic, PT, Massage Therapy and a variety of meds. If those don't work to bring relief, they'll attempt Epidural Steroid Injections (ESI's)...with the last resort being a lumbar discectomy and fusion.

I had an L5/S1 fusion in 1991 (at age 28) and I am so glad that I did, since I'd gone for 17 years before the "failed back syndrome" that I'm dealing with now kicked in. The fusion itself is holding up well, but scar tissue and bone spurs have become the issue.

My advice is to not delay is getting after the Pain Management course of action, since that's the first step in obtaining a long term resolution to the problem. Tomorrow I have a 1 level Anterior Cervical Discectomy and Fusion done, and if I'd delayed in getting into Pain Management I'd still just be wondering and waiting to find out what the issue was in my neck.

Take care and best wishes -

• Didnt get referred to PM yet. I have a referral to Neuro, just waiting to get my appt. I got my radiology report today and this is what it says..I hope there is something someone can do to give me some relief. I will definately try to get into pain management. Thank, and let me know what you think..

The L5/S1 disc is dessicated, demonstrates an annular tear, as well as, a fairly broad based central herniation that even though it protrudes primarily into the anterior epidural fat layer also exerts mild compression on the ventral aspect of the thecal sac. The remainder of the spine is unremarkable..

Impression: L5/S1 disc Herniation
  • is what was wrong with two of my discs. My ortho said i needed fusion. Maybe you will be canidate of disc replacment. Hope you neuro appt goes well. Let me know what you find out.
This discussion has been closed.