Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

core exercises 1 year after discetomy with disc bulge

tigerlillyttigerlilly Posts: 26
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi ,
can anyone recommend exercises good for peolpe who have had disectomy at l5 s1 , recently had disc bulge. Looking to get a longterm plan, but 12 weeks wait list to see physios. didnt get hardly any advice last year after op apart from avoiding impactsports and running , hence probally this little bulge 4 weeks ago, which thankfully is getting better , just a little pulse ache, but not needing to take painkillers. SO THINGS DO GET BETTER ! WITH FAITH AND REST AND LOTS OF FLOATING IN WATER.

• Hi Tigerlily,
    What a waiting list, I would hate to be an acute patient.
    If you cant get into a physio, then maybe you can see an exercise physiologist who specalises in rehab management.
    You really need someone to design a program for you and show you how to do the exercises properly.
    Also if you are in the water, there are some great exercises that can be done for core stability in the pool, so get them to show these to you as well.

I know I was at my best when it was summer here and I was in the pool several times a day.

• I like the swiss ball for core strengthening. They usually come with a list/diagram of exercises you can do with it, and most target your core muscles. Planks and crunches are good too. The key with crunches and planks is proper form are not to do them to the point of failure. Feel the burn and back off. And always be aware of your spine position and focus on the muscles being used.
  • Just a further comment post Tony's reply. Make sure when you do crunches that your lumbar spine is completely flat to the mat or floor. You don't want any space at all between your lower back and the floor...none. Do this by contracting your abs, not by pulling your hips up.
  • Can you get on the list again to see another physical therapist? Or see a personal trainer?

I am about 7 weeks out from my 2nd microdiscectomy and started PT last week. My physical therapist has me doing about 11 exercises; these exercises work on the deep core muscles. I wouldn't want to recommend my exercises because they are designed for my issues. Like someone posted, please get a core exercise program designed for you.
  • hi, thanks for that, what 11 exercises do you do?
  • *like an upward dog (yoga term), but hips grounded to the floor
    *move my knees side to side gently while lying on my back (30 times on both side)
    *dead bug movements (30 times)
    *pull up one knee with your hand pushing against it (alternate) 20 times
    *same as above but one knee with the opposite hand (alternate) 20 times
    *on your back, then lift your bottom (30 times)
    *on your hands and knees; then, lift one arm and the opposite leg (alternate) 30 times
    *sit one an exercise ball; then, do lat pulls (3 sets of 20)
    *looks like an exercise bike but for the arms (for 6 min)
    *leg shortening exercise (30 on each side)
    *walking( an hour a day)
    *lying your back with both feet on the floor; then, pull your bellybutton ((pilates) all day--

All of these exercise requires you to tighten your abs. Can't go into all the details for each exercise--too long. Sorry.

All the exercises mentioned above are gentle. Shouldn't cause any pain.