Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

surgery or not?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello all, hope your enjoying your holiday weekend.
I am having neck surgery next week because of my left arm is allways numb and I can't even pass a dish at the table with my left arm because I have lost the tricep muscle. The doc said I have bone spurs at C4 and C5. I have read some of the post in here and don't really like some of the outcome. The doc said I should be fine and recover all my muscle back but thats not what im reading on the posts. IF I don't do anything he said I would lose the muscle permantley because the spurs are pinching the nerve. Now I have had surgeries before on my feet but the thought of operating on my neck scares the hell out of me. Any words of encouragement would be helpfull.

• Welcome to Spine-Health. You'll find a lot of support here.

I was also losing the use of my left arm before I had surgery. As you can see by my signature, I had three levels done, as I also had tingling in my right arm 24/7 and horrid back spasms.

I understand how reading most of the posts on this site would be discouraging, but the reality is that most of the people with successful surgeries move on from this site because they no longer need the support they once found here.

I've had a successful surgery and I choose to stay just for people like you. If your doc says that surgery is your only resort and you have complete confidence in him, then it's time. I didn't have a choice either, but I'm very glad I had it done. I'm not yet completely pain-free, but I'm better than I was pre-surgery.

Many times, when you talk to people like me that had cervical surgery, they'll tell you that the anticipation is worse than the surgery itself. I found that to be true. The thing for you and your loved ones to keep in mind is that recovery can be a long road, but not necessarily a bad one. You'll just have to take it easy and be patient.

Anyway, I'm just trying my best to put your mind at ease. It really does sound like a terrifying surgery but it's not that bad. I actually had never even been in a hospital before I was told I had to have surgery and I was terrified too. This is a great place to help put your mind at ease as much as is possible and I'd like to help you in any way I can. I've been in your shoes.

Again, welcome to SH and feel free to PM me if you have any questions or just want to talk.

• is right. The nerve pinched by a bone will not fix itself. You don't say what the surgery is but given the description it sounds like it's not a fusion and probably would have to be more to need a fusion. The alternative is much quicker, less invasive and most people do very well. My mom in law had loss of movement in her foot and had the surgery asap, she luckily and thankfully got all of her strength back. That will take time but when your doc gives you the green light for physical therapy that will help, that is if needed if the loss of movement hasn't been pinched long some folks get it back pretty quick :)

Cath is right most people get to moving on. Some folks like her graciously stay for support which is so awesome!!!

Everyone gets anxious that's normal and it's your neck right? but now a days it's not even overnight stays anymore depending on the doc, if it is for you that's not bad my point is if it's not a fusion it's so much less invasive and thus less need for long hospital stays 10 yrs ago most docs kept folks for 2-3 dys after a laminectomy/discectomy now they don't have to anymore.

I'm sure you'll do great take care!!!
  • thank's for the info. Not really sure if I should go through with this surgery tomorrow. My arm isn't numb anymore and if I turn my neck my arm doesn't fall asleep but I still have no strength in my left arm. One of my shoulders is alot smaller than the other from my loosing my tricep muscle. Just a thought because I really don't want to go through with this.
  • I've had issues related to my cervical condition for years, and I've had days and even weeks where the symptoms seem to "clear" up, only to return, and often worse than before.

I'm also scheduled for surgery tomorrow, and I'm going in with confidence and an awareness that there are no guarantees (well, I know if I do nothing, I won't improve).

Ultimately it's your decision to go/no go...You need to be comfortable with your choice either way. Good luck!