Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Wish me luck

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
I posted a while back about possible trip to spain with my family. Well, we are going in 3 days. My husband bought me a first class ticket with flat bed for a trip. He and our 2 kids will be flying economy (4 tickets in first class will be 15 K - we simply can not spend that much). I hope that he will not regret his decision - flying with a toddler and teenager by himself is brutal.
I got all meds - enoght painkillers for a month - they take half of my bag!!!!I am taking tempurpedic travel neck pillow. I am prating that the beds will be good in spain. We are not staying in hotel, we are renting apartments - easier with kids - more space and have fridge. We are planning to take trains for trips, so that I can move, we are renting car only for a few days.
Just wish me luck! I hope that my back will survive the trip!
PS - some people have trouble to imaging what our normal vacation were before my back - we are out and about 10 hours a day, hiking, walking 3-8 mile a day. Climbing all possible attractions like cathedral, strairs, monuments etc - normal 300 steps up etc. This time for sure it will be different, however I think that my family is so used to us being active that they will want to have at least some of it this time.

• LizLiz Posts: 7,832
    Hi metoo

I wish you luck for your holiday, seems you have made good arrangements.

I have spent many holidays in Spain, mainly in hotels though, and I can honestly say I have always found the beds comfortable. I don't know what part of spain you are going to, but spain is disabled friendly in a lot of areas although I have found some places difficult with stairs,kerbs and inclines. The train was easy and very comfortable, but buses as you will know can be difficult to get on.

Have a wonderful time

TC Liz

Liz, Spine-health Moderator

Spinal stenosis since 1995
    Lumber decompression surgery S1 L5-L3[1996]
    Cervical stenosis, so far avoided surgery
  • have a great time!!!!
    sounds like every base is covered,all of us spineys can relate to that ;)

• It sounds like you have all bases covered as best as you can. Now just go and have the time of your life. Enjoy your time with the family. Don't push yourself too hard. You will have to share your good times with us when you get back. I find that if I am occupied doing something that the pain is easier to deal with because I am temporarily distracted. Make sure you ice after the big excursions. And by all means have fun.
  • You have an electrical outlet (just like a car) in your chair. If you bring a small inverter, you can recharge things like mini playstations (or what ever kids are currently palying with) and ipods and laptops or DVD players. It may also be worth it to buy a spare battery for the laptop and playstation. A couple of Disney movies with some headphones is likely to keep the toddler occupied. Get the teenager his 2 new favorite games on the mini playstation and that should keep him occupied. Should make life on your husband much easier.
    Make sure you are in a 3 class aircraft and on a major route. The airlines are getting cheap and swapping out aircraft these days. You should be in good shape going to spain, but you want to double check. You can go to seat guru and look up your aircraft type.
    Make sure to call the airline and get the exact type of aircraft you are flying on. You will see what I mean when you get to seat guru. Good luck. Your flight should be a breeze with the reclining chair. You didn’t need first class, just business. If you have any questions or need help figuring this out, send me a PM. I will go thru it with you.
    You and your family will do fine.
  • I am jealous that you are going to Spain. We had to cancel our trip to Germany this year because of my back, but we have two short trips in U.S. that require flying this summer. I too am keeping my fingers crossed that sitting for longer than an hour will not make me go bonkers.

Overall, sounds like your trip is well planned. Big thumbs up on the first class seating!
  • Thank you everyone for the warm wishes! We (spineys) can beat this pain! I still can not belive that 6 months ago I was starring at my walker and imargining myself not to be able to walk again.
    Cre, cool website about seats. I will use it in the future. For this trip I know exactly what I am getting - I flew the same route last year. It is iberia "business plus" section. THey only have 2 sections. In business plus the seat is completly flat, - the trick is that it is not 180 degrees, but 170, so you kind of on a slight angle. The seat is not ideal, but this is the only direct flight to Madrid from us and for sure it beats economy - I even think that it is better then what united or american have to offer. All I care that I am not sitting. I usually lay on my tummy to read or last time I was trying to make this seat "flat" but staffing my bag to my feet section and "making" it more like 180 degrees.
  • I am back from my vacation to spain and IT WAS FUN!!! I had few minor flares but overoll I feel better and more sure of myself than before the trip. Now I know that I can live a normal life even with non-working toe. I did not had any trouble going up and down the hills in old cities with cobblestone pavement. Slowly, of course. I also carried with me a small blanket and every 2-3 hour I layed down on my elbows to rest the spine - in europe people used to the sight of people laying down on the glass in the parks and they have plenty of them. Thanks to my husband and my older child - I did not push the stroller and did not lifted anything havier than 2 pounds - just in case. Thanks again to everyone.
  • =D> :D >:D< Oh, you give me hope! Just thrilled to hear you had a wonderful time which you so richly deserve - The angels must have been watching over you. I wish you could post pictures of your vacation here -- I'd love to see them -- I bet it was beautiful -- how was the FOOD?!

Again, just over the moon to hear you enjoyed your trip with your family -- it gives me hope that I may actually get to enjoy my life again soon!