Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Motorcycling Again! Yippee!

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Its been 6 months since ADR and fusion at L4/L5 and I have a new motorcycle and riding it pain free. I know it is still early but people need a good story now and again. Best Wishes to all of you

• I wish i can ride i had L-4 L-5 S-1 in nov 06 had a revision in january 09 L-2 L-3 L-4 L-5 S-1!! i miss ridingso much iam hoping by at least next year!!!what happened to you that you got hurt and how does it feel on the bike now!! at least i got it started to hear those loud pipes let me know how you feel take care and i jope all goes well for u
  • Have fun & be careful!
  • Glad to hear that you've had success!

Who did your ADR surgery?
  • You said you had an ADR and fusion at L4-L5. How is that possible? Wouldn't it be either an ADR or a fusion? I ask because I too had an ADR at L4-L5 on May 14th. My options were either an ADR or a fusion. My Doc says that it will be 2 to 3 months before we know if this is successful or not. If it isn't, he will go back in and take out the artificial disc and fuse. How did your recovery go? I am experiencing nerve pain in my legs, more so than before the surgery, I was pain free in my legs for the first week or so but the nerve pain and sensations have come back with a vengance.
    Congrats on getting back on a motorcycle! Woo Hoo!! =D> That is so awesome. Thanks for the positive story, it gives the rest of us hope. I hope to get back to horseback riding some day.
  • Congratulations on returning to motorcycling! That's why we put ourselves through all this, to go back to ding the things we love!
  • I had my ADR and fusion in Wisconsin by the best doctor ever. I guess I had an earlier injury and overuse by watercraft riding for years. Lots of jumps and hard landings I guess. Yes, Pammie, it is possible to have ADR and a fusion in the surgery. The ADR was from the front and then they flipped me over and fused me from the back with rods and screws. My surgery was just over 2 hours and then off to recovery and back to the room. Shortly after that I was gotten out of bed to stand and take a few steps. As the day/ evening progressed I was walking more and more. I did laps around the hospital wing during the night by myself. I went home the next morning! Yes I did. I hate those beds and I needed to be home by my dogs. I know it is still early and who knows what the future brings so I am out there trying to live my life because you never know what tomorrow will bring. My surgeon is co-founder of this website and if anyone wants his name it is here on the site or private message me and I will try and get back to you ASAP.
    Best Wishes to All and Good Luck
  • That does make sense, an ADR from the front and a fusion from the back. Best of luck to you, I hope you continue to do well!
  • Pika - you go girl! I am so proud of you. I had my surgery done by the same doctor as Pika and thank God for her she kept me motivated O:) to get it done and I am so glad I did. Except for this latest episode of falling with swelling in my legs, I have been almost completely pain-free!

I think what may be confusing people is the phrase "ADR" as it is not a typical artifical disc replacement, but rather is a titanium cage placement in place of the disc, filled with bone graft. Fusion rates for these types of surgeries otherwise known as a 360 are way higher and recovery much easier - from the mountains of papers and research I have done on them.

Anyways Pika - maybe you can ride your bike over to Dr. U's office on June 9th if you are not working, I am having another postop check-up! :D
  • That's wonderful that you are doing so well! Thank you for sharing.

• Ladies from Wisconsin: I am really confused by your comments. Did you have artificial disk replacement or did you have a cage, rods and screws? From the description, it sounds like Pika had one thing and emtlady had a 360 with a cage, rods and screws. Please clarify!

• I cant wait to get back on my bike too- its been awful waving goodbye to my buddies when they're away to bike rallies at weekends! my only concern is after having my L5/S1 microdiscectomy, is manuvering (spelt wrong!lol)the bike while I'm not on it.Does it not worry you at all?
  • My disc replacement dvice is an ENDOKELETON TA by Titan-Spine. It is titanium and comes in some 25 different sizes. The doctor who invented the disc is the one who did our surgeries. I had that procedure from the front at L4/L5. I was, I assume, flipped over and fused from the back with rods and screws at L4/L5 making a very strong cage so to speak. Really don't care what the doctor did or what anyone wants to call it. I feel great and I am pain free.
    I wish all of you the same success.

The motorcycle moving is done with care, no doubt. If I have to just turn it around I hop on the bike as it seems I am more in control and the bike is more evenly weighted. I am 6'0 foot tall so my center of gravity is higher than most womens so I know that out of control/balance with the motorcycle weight issue. I am strong but I dont want to try to lift a motorcycle ever again.