Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

tumor removal/complications

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hi, I just joined as I'm hoping to get some answers. I had a benign tumor removed at C-2 on 12/4/08. I'm able to walk small distances, cautiously, but have pretty much been bedridden since surgery. My Dr. wants to remove scar tissue in a couple weeks. I'm nervous. I'm experiencing "electrical currents" since surgery. I have had only a few phys. therapy sessions, due to ins. problems. Does anyone know about these horrible sensations? I feel like I'm buzzing. Thank you.

Tammy G

• I'm sorry, but I don't have much info for you, but I can say I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing these problems. You say you can't walk. Does the nerve pain affect your legs from that high up your back? Or is it that the jarring from taking steps makes your neck so uncomfortable? All I can say is that nerves are tricky devils and oftentimes it takes ages for them to heal properly. I had a three-level fusion six months ago and still have numbness and tingling in my right leg with an almost totally numb right foot.

I hope you feel better soon.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • thank you for your comments Linda. The sensations I experience, cover my entire spine. I can walk, short distances.
    I just got off the phone with my dr., and he said i have a tethered spine.

Does anyone know if six months of immobility may be causing or contributing to the sensations? In addition, does anyone know if one can regain use of muscles with therapy, if they have not been used for so long?

Thanks in advance :)))
  • First let me say welcome to spine - health. Your legs can be involved from the levels you are having issues at. Your best bet is to google teethered spine and follow the links.

Now as far as the muscles in your legs and what not. With therapy you should beable to gain some of the muscle mass back. If you have myleopathy chances are the damages that has been done will not resolve itself. But some therapy will never hurt anything. Walking is about the best exercise you can do. Check out some walking websites and you can build a walking program that is measurable. But of course before you engage in anything make sure to check with your doctor first. It is a long process and healing nerves can take up to 2 years. So you will just have to keep at it. Try to measure your progress in weeks not days. I know I am on my third year since all of this started and not a day goes by that I don't do my basic stretching. It has now just become a way of life and a must. Good luck and once again welcome to spine-health.