Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

SEVERE pain from physio exercises

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Degenerative Disc Disease
~X( Hi all,
Following my second epidural 2 months ago for which i got 3 weeks pain free(it was bliss)!!.I have disc herniation L5 S1 and ddd.A month ago physio gave me core strengthening exercises to do daily.I tried these and kept a diary.The pain was as bad as when i first herniated the disc,i could not sit,stand,eat or sleep.The pain made me cry and rendered me almost disabled.I stopped them and it has taken 3-4 weeks for it too settle to a tolerable level.
Tomorrow i have a physio assessment,they dont want to refer me to a neuro!!.Would it be wise to insist i dont want anymore physio and insist on a neuro referral??.
Any help and advice would be great guys.
Take care,lots of love and empathy.
P.S i am 37 and been like this for 5 yrs and lost a nursing career through it.

• Im a nurse too,still trying to get back.
    I think if the exercise exacerbates the pain then yes maybe it's time to adjust them or go to a neuro for sure.
    The pain is aweful and hopefully will resolve for you, my L5-S1 only worsened and I got to where the PT was just excruciating and stopped. Why core stuff? maybe a stretching and little strenghthening???

take care and here's to a decent day
  • Hi...
    I've had P.T. in the last year for sciatica (presumed herniation) and most recently for herniated cervical disc (have one focus of arthritis and DDD throughout neck). In both cases, my therapist was careful to ask if the exercises made my pain any worse. If an exercise worsens the pain, he tries something else. Now, I don't know what "core" exercises are but it doesn't sound reasonable to me that you should hurt worse from the exercise. I would see a neuro or spine surgeon.

Wishing you the best. :)

2009 Foraminotomy C6-72010 PLIF L4-S1Multi RFA's, cervical inj, lumbar injLaminectomy L3-4 and fusion w/internal fixation T10-L4 July 17Fusion C2-C5 yet to be scheduled
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 9,856
    to cause some initial pain and problems. Alot of this comes from the fact that you are now using muscles that were previously damaged, inactive or had surgical procedures done.
    But that should not last more than 3 or 4 visits. After that you should start to see positive results.
    However, since you are not, I would contact the doctor that order your physical therapy and explain the situation. I am a firm believer in Physical Therapy and how necessary it is.. But I also understand the limits of Physical Therapy and when some of the routines they want you to do can cause more problems.
    Call you doctor to discuss this situation
    Ron DiLauro Spine-Health System Administrator
    I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
    You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
  • PT always either makes my pain .001% better for a few days, or traction makes it a lot worse.