Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Post surgery question

pammieppammie Posts: 79
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had an ADR on May 14th at L4-L5. For the first week or so, my leg nerve pain was gone other than a new pain/numbness in my left groin area. My left thigh/groin/pubic area has had some severe pain and numbness ever since the surgery. My outer pubic area on the left side is very painful to the touch or if I move my leg a certain way, moving towards the groin crease and into my left thigh, it is more numb than painful. Is this normal post-op? I didn't have any pain and numbness in this area prior to surgery. My right leg pain and nerve sensations that I was experiencing prior to surgery has come back. For the first week or so after surgery the right leg pain/sensations were totally gone and now for the past couple of days they have come back with a vengance. The pain was so severe that my husband took me to the ER yesterday because I thought the pain in my calf might be a blood clot. They did a vascular ultrasound to rule out blood clots and said that it is probably nerve pain and to follow up with my ortho on Tuesday.

My questions are -
Is the pain and numbness in the left pubic, groin, and thigh "normal" or something to be concerned about, will it go away?
Why would the right leg nerve pain and sensations come back just over a week after surgery?
Any feedback would be great. Thanks and hope you are all having a wonderful Memorial Weekend!

• Not sure what ADR is,guess some type of Disc op.My Husband had a Laminectomy 4-30-09 and is recovering in spurts...We have been told the leg pain is the nerves healing, if U could see what is done during a surgery (You Tube has many videos and web casts to watch)U would understand why there is still so much pain.
    ANY surgery is at least 8 wks to heal inside. I had Crainial (Head ) Surgery 2-17-09 and am just now back to almost normal.If pain meds do not help,see your Doc! Ours insisted we take as much as needed because pain will keep U down, the more we walk the faster we heal...Take care hope you feel better soon
  • I'm so sorry to hear you're having this pain. I think it would be best if you paid a visit to your surgeon. Strange new pains can occur after surgery, just because of trauma to the tissues during the process. I'm glad you went to check and see if it was a blood clot - very important to rule that out. I hope you find a solution to the pain soon.

3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • is Artificial Disc Replacement.
    3 level spinal fusion, L3/4, L4/5, L5/S1, November 2008. Stiff, but I can walk.
  • Thanks for your responses. I will follow up with my surgeon on Tuesday and try to figure these new pains out as they are becoming almost unbearable even with my pain meds. And yes an ADR is an artificial disc replacement.

Isteller-Yes it was very important to me as well to rule out blood clots as my Mother and Paternal Grandfather both had issues with blood clots, I don't know if this is something that can be hereditary but I am a bit paranoid about it. My Mother developed multiple blood clots in her leg following knee surgery 22 years ago and has been on blood thinners (coumadin) ever since. I was so relieved to have it checked, I would have been a nervous wreck if I hadn't.
  • You have sympathetic mediated leg pain??? I had some nerve issue after my surgury which was taken care with a dose of Lyrica. So glad your hubby took you to the ER to rule out blood clots...So dangerous! Make sure you get lots of rest and ask lots of questions at the doctors.
  • sorry to hear about the return pain,
    i had the same thing as described except in my right leg. it has been a long recovery and the pain and nerve sensations will vary as the nerve heals . or at least it did for me.lyrica helped but made me fat and stupid. i had to get off of it because i had problems with memory in school. i am on oxycontin er and doing well. i function just fine as long as i take my meds and try not to overdo activities like moving furniture or anything. nerves are tricky and will heal but i still have nerve damage where my right leg feels like it is asleep all the time. walking is my best friend. lidocaine patches calm it down some. feel free to pm me anytime as i have a hard time keeping up with the posts on the threads. btw, which disc did you have?
  • I had the Prodisc at L4/L5. I just had my 3 week follow-up with my surgeon's PA. They want me to get an xray as well as an MRI with contrast next week to see what is going on and to rule out any fluid in my spine from the surgery which they say could possibly be causing the pain and nerve sensations in my leg. If that isn't it then more than likely the nerves got irritated during surgery. I will probably be starting PT next week and another follow up in 2 weeks. They did lift some of my restrictions such as begin slowly bending a little, can lift up to 20 lbs. and very, very light housework starting out very slowly. TSorry I haven't been on here in a while but I do thank you all for the responses.

Michelle - as you can see I have a hard time keeping up the posts as well. I accepted your buddy request. Thanks!