Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Disc Bulges, Tingling, Twitching, Numbness In Back

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Neck Pain: Cervical
Hello everyone. I've been in pain for 3 to 4 years. I'm not sure what has caused it. I've worked in the service industry most of my adult life, have moved my mom by myself on a couple of occasions, been in a car accident, and haven't lifted things properly in the past.

About 3 months ago a new symptom developed. I get numbness, tingling, and twitching in different areas of my spine. The pain has been something I had to learn to deal with, but these new feelings were very scary. My mother has a history of all kinds of issues: bilateral neuropathy, bilateral carpal tunnel, had bone fusion with rods and screws in her lower back, she has herniated disks still in her back and neck, takes medicine for nerve pain, and has problems with hips and sciatica. Her doctor said I NEED to see someone with those new symptoms.

I've had my MRI done. I have disc bulges in c3-6. C5-6 are worst. I've been seeing the chiro twice a week when possible, but my insurance is not the best. I get the electro stimulation in different areas of my neck and along my spine, ultrasound, and manipulations. I've had my nerve test done and should get the results next week. I had it a month ago, but have had to wait for my next appt with PM doc. The prelims said i had mild cervical radiculopathy. And PM doc scheduled me for a CESI until my insurance rejected it.

My questions are:

Am I supposed to be in so much pain after seeing the chiro? He said that pain is to be expected in the healing process, but this is too much in my opinion. It almost makes me want to not go back because I don't want to put myself through it. I haven't seen any progress in this area.

Next question:

I've been reading about radiculopathy and see that most patients feel the tingling and numbness in their hands in the cervical area. Now while I do get numbness in my fingers, my main concern is that it's in multiple areas of my back. Is this just a less common symptom of radiculopathy?

Like I said before, I'm getting my results a week from today. I'm hoping someone can answer these questions. It's unfortunate that so many of you guys/gals have all these issues, but I think I'm in the right place.

• Hi there,
    I also was diagnosed with herniated disc at C6-C7 and my symptoms started slowly over a long period of time first pain in my left shoulder blade, then left shoulder and so forth. Also had tingling and numbness.
    Eventually I was diagnosed properly when my fingers started going numb and pain was all the way down my arm (tricep, forearm and wrist). The first time it happened I did not have muscle weakness and i had PT and epidural cortisone injections which helped it. Unfortunately a couple years later it came back again and then i decided to go see a chiro and before appt my pain level was at a 5-6 tops after the visit my pain went up to a level 10 and my condition worsened, now I have weakness in addition to severe pain and numbness. The Chiropractor said we agitated the nerve a little, but I would never ever go back to see a Chiropractor ever again. That is my opinion and mine alone. good luck and i hope you find relief frm your pain.
  • bkorry your symptoms sound very similar, as I have a C6-C7 bulge as of a year ago with signs of DDD. Getting some new tests done and hopefully I can get it fixed.

To kitten, some people find Chiropractors help immensely, and some find it can make the problem worse. If your pain is worse after going and it doesn't subside, you need to make the call if it's worth it. More pain can't be good.
  • My opinion is follow your gut instinct. If you feel that the chiro is not helping but hurting, stop going. Usually you should see relief in a few days to a week going to chiro if they're therapy is working. If it's making it worse and not better over time, do NOT go back. Disc bulges in the neck that press the spinal cord that do not heal themselves, can damage the nerve fibers in the cord, leaving you with permanent tingles, pain, numbness.

Wait for your nerve test results, treat yourself at home with ice/heat whichever feels better. Ask your doctor for some pain meds and muscle relaxers. You may need a consult with a neurologist or a ortho surgeon just to be sure that you aren't waiting out something that isn't going away and is causing damage that can't be relieved.

• i have an appt with my PM doc on friday so im going to talk to him about the chiro. im already taking vicodin and zanaflex. i was taking mobic, but not anymore. i forgot to mention ive had a couple trigger point injections. i will say that my pain has increased a little. but im thinking it has more to do with my pain meds and less to do with the chiro.

im hoping friday we can discuss trying some other forms of treatment besides the ones i mentioned above. to all of you with my condition, what treatments have worked well for you?

its very scary to maybe have permanent tingles, twitches, and numbness. im hoping i caught this early. i made my first appt about a month and a half after it started. the thing that sucks about having back and neck issues is theres no sure fire way to get better.

i told my doc that i wanted to try some less invasive stuff before i decide on surgery. as i mentioned before, my insurance sucks and they wont cover it. im probably going to have to change it and pay out of pocket if i can find someone who will cover me with my situtation.

thanks to everyone whos already responded and those who do later...
  • I had lumbar fusion 6 months ago. Know working on the neck (all accident related). Going for a diskogram in a week or so. are they any easier or worse then having one done in the lumbar region. only remember two words when they did the lower back, they used the forgetme drug and don't remember anything after that (thank God). Anyone with this neck problem return to umpiring baseball and a high level DI college, or would you retire. Nero says its not wise to continue.
  • I was diagnosed with a bulging disc in C6 & C7 back in April. My regular doctor acted like it was no big deal, but someone on here said not to trust your primary caregiver as they are knowledgeable in lots of stuff but do not specialize in one thing. So off to a neurosurgeon I went. He indicated that my disc was also slightly herinated. I must have dropped my jaw to the floor when he said this. How could 2 doctors, 1) radiologist; and 2) my gp miss this? Too many patients? So I had an epidual injection on May 20 and helped slightly, and I did start physical therapy. The pt feels like she can fix me. Also some days the pain is worse than others and I take at least 4 pain pills (like Friday) and I actually threw up. Not sure if this is what caused it though. No not pregnant. I did 2 test just to be certain. Besides I would jump off a bridge if that happened. I have a 17 almost 18 year old and a 4 year. Any questions?

Well anyways, my pain started like a tingling, burning sensations in my neck/shoulder area and at first I thought it was from lifting my youngester, because it wasn't everyday I felt this pain, but then it persisted daily while sitting at the computer which is 8 to 10 hours per day at work and also taking on-line classes so I could be on the computer for 16 hours a day easily. I also experience some tingling/burning in my lower back on two or three occasions. My pt thinks this herination came from poor posture while sitting at my computer. Could be, I'm at it a heck of alot!