Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Radiation-Induced Fibrosis And Neuropathy

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,662
For the past 6 + months, I am experiencing daily pain from the late-effect radiation-caused severe fibrosis of my left paraspinal muscles (thoracic and upper lumbar sections) and neuropathy damages to the various nerves in those areas. I am employing pain management therapy, at the clinic - started Dec. 19, 2008. At the Dec. 19th visit to the pain-management clinic, the doc gave me nortryptoline anti-depressant med - to sleep better. On Jan. 22, 2009, he did an epidural-corticosteroid injection on my back left paraspinal thoracic muscles, T-3 to T-12. The upper lumbar section L-1 to L-3 - was injected Feb. 5, 2009. The shots just gave me minimal pain relief for 2-3 days. On Mar. 3rd, when the doc described 2 trials by Medtronic (1 - for catheter-delivered medicine, and 2 - for implanted nerve-stimulation), I declined to enter these trials. I will continue my pain medications and exercise/hydrotherapy. I am now seeking another pain-management clinic locally.

What a life……….

• I believe I would have taken the trials.
    This Thursday I am having a stimulator implant. And i am thrilled to get it.
    Just my thoughts.
    Good luck
    Patsy W
  • Hi Stan,

Sent you an email but thought I'd post too. I was diagnosed with a primary tumor on my lower spine about 30 years ago. No problems I thought but when they took it out they decided to give me radiation to make sure anything left behind (it was wrapped around my spinal cord) would not grow back. SO, now I really don't recall what radiation they gave me was. The hospital had a fire and the records are gone.

Anyway muscle weakness started first at age 50. Lots of teast and diagnosis was radiation induced late onset neuropathy. Yeah very rare. Aren't I lucky? Had a rare tumor and now rare effects from treatment . Well I have learned alot in a year and a half. Thought we might share info and maybe get somewhere since there is NO info out there that leads to any help.
  • I am 33 years old. I had an MRI of my lumbar spine after a motor vehicle crash in march of 2009 this year and It states I have a hemangioma. Is there any way to biopsy to make sure its not melignant? I have read hemangiomas have blood vessels and most doctors wont due to possible bleeding. I am also concerned it will grow and have read spinal tumors can be fatal and want to figure out if this can be removed. I am in alot of pain in my mid/low back. need to find a doctor in Atlanta, Georgia that will actually take me because of this rare condition. I have been trying and getting nowhere for 9 months. the 2 neuro surgeons and 2 pain management clinics wouldnt even prescribe pain meds or see me after the initial consult. Im awaiting another neuro surgeon and orthopedic appt and in 2 weeks they will either accept or decline my referals. Im hoping to get a second mri to see if its grown.