Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Here's a new one...

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I am 2.5 months since two level fusion and titanium cage placement. Feeling really good, went up north this weekend. I ended up doing shopping and cooking for the whole bunch. Had been in Florida two weeks ago and even went around Sea World in 98 degree heat - no problems. Saturday afternoon, I tripped and fell on some stairs. :O No pain, just pi**ed that I did it. #o Ever since, I have had terrible leg, ankle and foot swelling. Can't seem to get it to go down no matter how much I raise my legs. Did I jar something? Even my fingers are swollen. No real shortness of breath. I work in the medical field and can't figure this out. Anybody got any ideas? :?

• insert crickets chirping...

• Geez lady, your not supposed to fall after surgery just before. I have no idea what you did but it sounds like you need to call Dr. U. I was happy you were getting around so well but this is weird. I hope you are icing the back and trying that option. Maybe you wrenched your neck when you fell and thata is causing the hand swelling? You know I am not a doctor so I suggest you see one and take it easy.
  • That's a real headscratcher. I haven't had a fusion, but I'm not sure if the swelling is related to the surgery. Could it be something else? Medication perhaps?
  • No pain after the fall just swelling? Any discoloration in the swelled areas? Have you tried ice with elevation?

The most common treatment is rest, ice, compression and elevation. If you have an ACE bandage, try wrapping the swollen areas, ice pack and elevate it. You know the drill, no direct ice on your skin, use a kitchen towel to wrap the icepack. Go in shifts of 10-15 minutes at a time. No heat though, that'll usually make the swelling worse.
  • If not just call to let them know. It is probably nothing to be concerned about and by today hopefully the swelling is down and you are fine. But don't let it go just in case.....