Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Who's quit by gradual reduction of cigarettes?

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Stop Smoking
I've only smoked for about 6 years and tried to quit, maybe 5 or so times. I found the only time I quit for anything longer than days was when I gradually reduced what I was smoking day to day. It took me a few weeks but when I stopped the withdrawal wasn't quite as bad.

I've seen some articles mocking this method, saying withdrawal will drag out and you'll fail. I disagree as I've found quitting cold turkey causes me to go absolutely insane until I start again to make it stop.

I need to quit, and I'm planning to start it by this method again since it's the only one that's ever worked. I tried the patches and gum before and those didn't help at all.

• Sorry I can't answer your actual question... But I hope you're successful! Here's a story with a good ending for you though:

Both myself and my wife quit 7 years ago, we sent to hypnosis and haven't smoked since. Of course, we were both DONE smoking. The hypnosis was a 3 hours presentation on nutrition and the physiology of the effects of smoking... now buy all of our supplements!! Then a break, we smoked during the break & threw away the rest of our smokes. The hypnosis was 30 minutes long, group kinda thing. Don't know if the hypnosis did anything or if it was the fact that we had the mindset that we'd have quit regardless, but neither of us has smoked since: have no desire. I won't lie to you we were on edge for about a month but I don't think it was that bad. It was also the first time we had tried to quit. Myself after nearly 20 years!

Good luck, hope you're successful!!!
  • I quit years a go eight before the huge price increase and I did it cold , my wife just quit this year and she did the same just stopped . I have found that if you really wanna quit you will if deep down you either don't want to or just don't care either way you will probably fail, my mom has heart problems and she still won't quit just because she dosen't want to . Good luck and i hope you make it .
  • I agree with both posts - the only way to quit forever is when it's really important to you and if you're really DONE. I truly believe the secret to quitting is attitude. You have to look at your quit as a wonderful thing and embrace every crave as a sign of your body and mind healing itself from drug addiction instead of feeling miserable and deprived while you wait for the cravings to disappear. You have to get MAD about the nicotine and the crave - tell yourself "Stupid Nicotine drug - look how it's making me feel so terrible!" and promise yourself you'll never be fooled by the lure of nicotine again. It's just a different way to handle the cravings.

I have heard the same thing that cutting down doesn't work and just prolongs it (because most people start to glorify the cigarette and look at it as a "reward" when they finally let themselves smoke one), but if that is what it takes to work for you - then that is what you should try. Maybe when you do smoke, instead of just doing it mindlessly, you could really try to pay attention to the negative things about it - like having to go outside alone, the way it burns your throat, the fact that you are paying good money to harm or maybe kill yourself, it makes you smell, and most of all - in 30 minutes your going to want to do it all over again. Spend the whole time it takes you to smoke it trying to hate it and pumping yourself up for your quit. Make sure you set a quit date within just a couple of weeks too.

Edited to say: I hope that doesn't sound preachy - I'm just feeling very positive about my quit and want others to feel the positive parts and not the negatives so much.

Good luck to you and let us know how it goes!