Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

iowarobiniiowarobin Posts: 1,268
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
I had PLIF and discectomey last Dec and am wondering if it is possible to have a infection this late in the game? I have had several lung and head infections, and now I am dealing with pnuemonia. I have had oral antibiotics for 7 days along with prednisone. When that didnt work, I was switched to IV antibiotics and have had 16 dailey treaments. I keep having sweats and chills and just wondering since my white count went up after I had taken oral meds for a week, if it is possible that the problem lies deeper. I am constantly tired, and my pain level has not improved in the last month. In fact, sometimes it is worse. Any thoughts on this?

• Prednisone alone can make your white count go up and also weaken your immune system; so CBC becomes less useful. A PLIF is stressful to your body, infections are stressful to the body, pain is stressful to the body. The more stresses, the harder it is to overcome one of those problems let along 3. What kind of bacteria are they treating? Just make sure you surgeon knows all the facts and is kept in the loop. Any sign of fusion yet? Hang in there!
  • I'm not sure but definitely talk to or call your primary. I sure hope you don't have an infection from your surgery. (((((hugs)))))
  • Iowarobin,

I am prone to lung infections, and every time my immunity weakens I get it. So it is not surprising that after my fusion surgery I got it again, although my incision healed beautifully and I had absolutely no problems related to the surgery. I also got prednisone, but I don't remember if it was before my lung infection or because of it. I guess maybe this is why you are having trouble also, but to be sure it is good to ask your doctor.

Good luck,