Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

newhouse17nnewhouse17 Posts: 133
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Back Surgery and Neck Surgery
Hello everyone,

2 weeks post-op of disc replacement at L4-L5, disc fusion at L5-S1. I have degenerative disc disease, spinal stenosis, and major nerve damage in both legs to the point that I couldn't walk or drive. I decided to have surgery because I have 3 children and refused to let life pass me by.

Surgery was the scariest thing I've ever been through, but had a great doctor and support from friends and family. The surgery was five hours and I spent three days in the hospital. They had me walking the day after surgery and was going up and down stairs the day before I left the hospital. I have some numbness in my lower belly where they went through and numbness on the outside of the left leg to the knee. I have localized pain in the lower back that feels more of an ache than that stabbing pain that radiated to the legs. THANK GOD!!!I get the occasional pain in right leg that runs from my knee to the foot but usually goes away once I move around. Doctor says that was just working out the kinks known. I am walking around the house and walking three times a day for distance. Have to be able to walk a mile by my next appointment in July.

For anyone out there that is contemplating surgery, make sure that you exhaust every treatment out there before you decide to have surgery. Get yourself a great surgeon and don't say what if, you'll drive yourself crazy!! Be positive from the beginning, you doctor will do his job and you need to do yours. After surgery you will be tired, you will have pain, and you will have good days and bad days. Push yourself everyday and tell yourself that you will get stronger and you will have your life back!! I once saw a quote on this forum that I live by everyday, “YOU CAN VISIT PITTY CITY BUT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO LIVE THERE”.

• I am getting a fusion lumbar surgery on L3 and L4 yeah i am nervous but i can't stand for long period of time i get numbness in left leg I have chronic pain and i am only 36. I have a child and a wife that likes ot hsop. I am scheduled to go under knife on July 8th. Do u know how long i will be with brace? Dr said i will be up that day of surgery walking or standing by bed is that crazy? He said i will do therapy with brace then i will do therapy without it is that common. He said i should be back to work in a month i have a desk job does that sound right? he said i can drive in about 3 weeks? Does this really work?
  • Big D,

I don't know how long you will be in a brace, it depends on if their going through the front or the back. Every doctor is different. I wear a corset but it is only to help the muscles in the stomach heal and to prevent a hernia. You will be walking around soon after surgery. When I first got out of bed I was shaking because I thought it was too soon. Once I got up I did great!!! Don't be afraid to ask for pain medicine, and don't wait until your pain is out of control. You will have to ask for it because they will not give it to you on a schedule like other meds. I was on morphine for two days then they switched me to vicadin. Warn your wife that you will be out of it if your on morphine. My children came to visit and I scared the crap out of them because their not use to see their mom like that.

My doctor has me doing my therapy at home, walk, walk,and walk!!Best thing for a back injury.We have not discussed returning to work until he sees where I am due to the extent of damage I did by putting off surgery for six years. Propably will have to get a desk job. My doctor will release me to drive after two months as long as I continue to do well.

If you have any concerns please discuss them with your doctor and tell him if your not ready to return to work. Just remember to be possitive and look at the big picture, how much better your going to feel after the surgery and be able to be a husband and father again.
  • Thank you for sharing your experience. I really enjoy that quote about pity city.