Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

New guy - pain started 6 Oct 08

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,623
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in New Member Introductions
Hey folks. I didn't want to make a new guy intro but then I figured it might help in the event that someone out there has the same problem as me. A little background...

I'm a 29 year old police officer. I've been an officer since January 2007. Up until my injury, I worked patrol for about 2 years. Up until Oct 6 2008, I have had no back pain or leg pain.

On 6 Oct 08, my unit spent the day at an outdoor shooting range. We spent about 10 hours in our duty gear which includes our belt and vest. I think it all weighs about 15 pounds extra. The events involved shooting guns in just about any position imaginable (standing, moving, lying, kneeling, kneeling over someone, someone kneeling over you, etc). There was also some running involved. At the end of the day I helped the range masters move a couple heavy items. We were released for the day so I took off my gear and got in my truck to drive home. I did not notice anything during the day that would indicate I hurt myself.

About 10 minutes into my drive I started to feel a sharp pain in my right buttocks and the back of my thigh. Being the young guy that I am, I figured I would recover from whatever it was if I took it easy. I continued to work patrol for 3 weeks and I felt the pain in my buttocks and down the back of my leg every single time I drove a car. The pain did not exist when I walked, ran, or slept...only when I drove and got in and out of my patrol car. After 3 weeks I went to the doctor. They couldn't figure out what was wrong with me.

Sooooo, I have spent the last 7 months going to doctors for treatment. Nothing has worked and the pain has only increased in severity and frequency. After about 2 months of doctors visits, my back started to hurt as well. In the last couple weeks I have noticed the pain in my left leg, although not nearly as severe.

So the ulimate diagnosis is....sciatica. Duh! The cause is unknown. MRI shows degenerative discs but nothing that looks to pinch the nerves. Mild stenosis but nothing the doctors think is significant enough to cause this.

My treatments have included, epidurals, physical therapy, chiropractor, Lodine, prednisone, rest, exercise, and so on. Nothing has given me an ounce of relief or hope. I am going through workers comp and cannot work patrol because it hurts too much. I can't even drive my car much longer than 10 minutes before the pain is unbearable. My wife drives most places. My doctor told me that she couldn't figure anything out so she was going to recommend I return to patrol. I managed to get approval to see a 4th doctor who recommended acupuncture. I hope it helps! If it doesnt then I dont know what to do. I love my job and want to do it for the next 25 years but there's no way I can if they don't help me get better.
advertisement

Comments

• hi and welcome to the forum! :H we are here to offer you support and answer what questions we can. well, how about trying the new nerve pain medications, like Lyrica? :? i have suffered for many years and it made a huge change in my pain level!! <:P talk to your doctor about it!! :-C i hope this offer you some relief!! :D good luck and keep us posted! Jenny :)
  • Is lyrica something you have to take continually? I will try anything but one doctor I spoke with said that it's not good to be on lyrica as a police officer because of some of the side effects.
  • It sounds almost impossible that you don't have a herniated disc. Have you considered having a 2nd MRI? My 1st MRI missed the herniation. SOmetimes in the position they take the MRI, the bulge retracts so is not visible. Once they spot the herniation, they can consider doing a microdiscectomy.Good luck
  • hi! :H yes indeed it is a medication you have to take everyday. after a few days the side effects should go away. i had weight gain and sleepiness. (|: i have taken off the weight and take the meds at bedtime.. i sure hope this is a medication you can try. =D> start off on the lowest dose and that may be enough to give you some relief. your doctor will know about this! :-C good luck and keep us posted!!Jenny :)
advertisement