Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

no too pain pump.

motelman99mmotelman99 Posts: 122
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Pain Management
can the dr at a pain clinic let you go if you refuse something he wants to try?.............the dr wants me to try the morphine pump.i always been against the pain pump and the scs.i know alot of people have had good luck with them.but its not for me.

• That's a good question. I have wondered about this myself. Nobody can force you to do something you don't want to, including doctors. Just let them know why you feel the way you do, and that you have your concerns about morphine pumps. It's your body- your back and if you don't want invasive treatments, it's your right to turn it down. Maybe your doctor can sit down with you and answer any questions you have about pumps, or maybe get you in touch with someone who does have one implanted that can tell you the real deal.
  • That is a good question.I doubt if your Dr can let you go legally for that reason.Is there anything at all in your contract-if you have one- about this subject?

Something I'm beginning to wonder about myself,not with the pain pumps or even the SCS,but with any treatment they suggest that we might not want..say for instance,that 3rd or 4th ESI,or well,anything.

I haven't had any issues whatsoever with my PM about this subject to date,but I would be remiss if I pretended the thought doesn't cross my mind..that maybe they gotta brand new pair of roller skates,and they gotta brand new key.......too!
  • They can (and ethically, they should) let you go, if your refusals leave them no viable options for treatment.
  • What they legally can or can't do is not really the issue. The issue is what will the doctor do to help you once you refuse. They can stop offering you any med changes and simply say "Until you try a pain pump we have nothing more to offer".

That will leave you looking for another doctor almost for sure. Simply because they can say or do any number of things to cut back supplied meds right up to the point of saying no more and giving a taper off program. They should offer to help you not suffer withdrawal, they should offer to maintain you on the meds you are on. they may not do the maintaining and simply say "seek treatment elsewhere".

I know pain pumps and SCS units are mixed blessing. You can go read any number of reports and scare the hell out of yourself. Or, you can read and hope/pray that you will get relief and it will work for you. I sat and talked to an actual malpractice plaintiffs attorney in my PMs waiting room last time I was in! He has a pain pump, he said he fractured 3 vertabrae and was in constant pain for 5 years. He could not do trial work and was in danger of losing his practice. He said the pain pump has been the best thing he has ever done! He sat and talked more to my wife while I was in the back. She said he continued to rave about how good his is.

So, remember for every bad story there are untold good stories. I doubt that there is any real answer other than to do what you feel is best for you. Refuce the pump and deal with the consequences or try it and do the same.
  • So,are you saying that if a patient says that they would rather not have a pain pump in their body,or SCS,that the Dr might then say,well-go get your meds somewhere else?

The issue might be what will the doctor do to help you once you refuse,but the question was,can the dr at a pain clinic let you go if you refuse something he wants to try.

I know that a PM can let you go if you break a contract,and any Dr can decide to quit treating a patient~~so,I guess the clinic could let you go..

I agree with meydey on this one.I would sit down and have a talk with my Dr if he were suggesting this.

When my PM mentioned more ESI's I told him that I researched them and didn't want to take that risk with my body again.We,as patients,do have rights,but then,the Drs,hospitals,and clinics that treat us have rights too.When it comes to pain medication,there is no doubt in my mind who has the control.

I think many people here feel the same way about this lack of control,and this is why we follow the rules so diligently...but,there is a difference between following the rules and being manipulated into a medical procedure that a person is not comfortable with.Especially if $$ is at the root of the dilemma.
  • When my PM wanted to do more ESIs and a shoulder injection! I did 2 esi and 3 shoulder injections the year before, none of them helped at all. So, I said no way and went for a second opinion. That's how I ended up with the SCS.

I actually ended up back at the local PMs for that after my PCP intervened on my behalf and talked the local PM into reconsidering my treatment plan.

That is a possibility, have another doctor work with you if the PM does not agree to another option.
  • I have heard that some doctors may think that if you refuse any type of treatment, even PT, that you're only there for pain pills and don't want to try other measures to help control your pain.

Thankfully I never encountered this at my clinic. They work with me and let me decide whether or not I want to try something invasive. I too am weary of all the ESI's because they never helped and made my pain worse.
  • i have had 4 epi and alot of trigger shots,one broke on me too.he is a nice dr but just to pushy on the pump.my pain is both on my neck and back &knee.
  • Personally, I would jump at the offer of a pump but that's me. Technically, a doctor can discharge you for any reason at all. Worst case, some will discharge you for being "non-compliant"; but I can't see a doctor discharging you for refusing to an invasive procedure that does has some serious risks. I could see discharging you for seeking meds from other doctors, failing to keep appointments, failing to have recommending tests, but not refusing a pain pump? Perhaps you could call the practice administrator, explain you like your doctor but is he going to boot you for not doing the pump? My bet is they will tell you a straight answer, I wouldn't be worried.