Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

Giving up caffeine helped me

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Lower Back Pain
I am 42 years old and started having lower back problems about a year ago. My job is pretty physical, so I just attributed it to that and stress. The pain would be really bad in the morning and sometimes I'd have "flare-ups" during the day. Well, I tried switching mattresses, taking NSAIDS, and wearing a back brace before deciding that it was just something I would have to live with.
For unrelated reasons, I gave up caffeine completely (including chocolate, unfortunately). Incredibly, my back pain went away! I couldn't believe it. I hope that some of you can benefit from my experience. Yes, it's hard to give up that morning cup of coffee, but let me tell you, it's worth it! Just give it a try. It was only a few days after quitting caffeine completely that I had relief. Best of luck to everyone out there.

• I cut caffiene and sodas completely and cold-turkey out my diet 3 years ago.

After 30 some odd years of drinking sodas everyday, the withdrawl was 6 months of sheer hell. But I did it.

I can't say it helped with my back pain.
    Glad you are feeling great tho!
    On the sunny and mild Central Coast of California

L4-L5 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy June, 2007
    L5-S1 endoscopic transforaminal microdiscectomy May, 2008

• There is definitely a correlation between caffeine consumption and my back pain!

Fortunately i've never been too much of a coffee drinker but the odd time i have a cup i will feel particularly limber, motivated and energetic for a few hours and then after that, as it's effects are 'wearing off' i am left with a magnified version of any aches and pains i had to begin with. I love dark chocolate and have noticed the same thing after eating it. I've tried buffering it's effects with multivitamins and calcium pills to no avail...

Now that i'm aware of this i only drink coffee when i'm willing to deal with the horrible back pain that comes after the buzz.
  • That's amazing news and I'm happy that's helping you. I cut out the 2 diet colas I would drink during the day as I heard soda wasn't good for the bones. But I still drink one or 2 cans of diet ginger ale. I only have one coffee a day and I don't think it makes a difference for me. I also have 2 small squares of 85% chocolate a day for it's supposed antioxidents effect. I now drink water at least 6 glasses a day for the thirst from the meds side effects as well as hydrating my discs. I never drank too much water but I take lasix for my leg swelling so it dehydrates me so I need to have the water as well as I hear caffine dehydrates you so I upped the water intake. That's a very good observation made but I don't know if I could quit my one cup of coffee!. Take care now. Charry
    DDD of lumbar spine with sciatica to left hip,leg and foot. L4-L5 posterior disc bulge with prominent facets, L5-S1 prominent facets with a posterior osteocartilaginous bar. Mild bilateral foraminal narrowing c-spine c4-c7 RN
  • Awesome that you found something that worked... but

Keep in mind, the following is just something I like to do to see what people are saying on the internet. It amuses me.

I read this, and it brought back something I'd read a long time ago so I googled "aspartame and pain" and it's hilarious! =)) (Keep in mind these are NOT studies, they are merely people exhibiting a herd behavior!) There are several "groups", saying that using products containing aspartame(i.e. diet soda) would RELIEVE arthritis pain, and other groups saying that it would CAUSE fibromyalgia pain! :O

I then googled "cola pain study" and found something rather interesting: Apparently studies HAVE been done, and it doesn't look good for soda... with excessive consumption, "something" in cola COULD cause a few ailments... along with breathing air, eating meat, using sugar, and a host of other things.

But again I'm ranting, back to the original poster:
    Only thing I could find looking up "caffeine and pain" was that apparently caffeine "eases" workout muscle pain. I could find nothing about causing pain. No studies, no claims that it causes pain.

I don't want to discount that it worked for you, I'm truly glad it worked for you, but I have been without caffeine with no effect on my pain.

More power to you!
  • Not sure about hip pain or coffee. I'm with Paul, it's about my one true vice! Not giving it up easily!

Anyway, I can state without a doubt that ANY dyed Soda products, be it brown cola, red cream soda, even dark rootbeer will give me a headache! It is repeatable for me. I am stupid enough to forget and do it over and over again! I now drink only clear sodas or gingerale.

Now Guiness does not bother me.
    just got to remember, "There's a sandwich in every bottle" <:P
  • hope everyone is doing good. i can tell you am not giving up my pepsi or tea, i have already came to the point where i know i have to give up alot of things i love to do with the back problems i am having. one other thing dont know how it work for you unless you lost some weight and that helped you out alot. i am not saying anyone is fat so before anyone gets upset let me put that out there. giving up your caffee could have done that and of course it has made you healthier in other ways to. so i am so glad that is worked for you. if i knew it would work boy i sure wouldnt have went through this fusion. that is just my thoughts. theresa
This discussion has been closed.