Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

lower back and leg pain

AnonymousUserAAnonymousUser Posts: 49,671
edited 06/11/2012 - 8:31 AM in Lower Back Pain
I have been having back pain for the last 19 months. I have seen all kinds of docs and gone through every test and injection possible. I found out that between L4 and L5 I have a mild disc protrusion and it is dried up and torn.It is causing severe lower back pain and then it goes through my butt and down both my legs. My legs don't get numb but they are very weak and it hurts to walk or have any pressure on them. I was out of work for a year but then my husband got laid off so I had to get a part time job and there i sit for 3 hours or stand when the pain gets too bad. I barely make it through that. My PM Dr. has now told me to go and talk to a surgeon. I had an appointment last week and this Dr. told me that he agrees that surgery is the next step but he doesn't want to do it. I don't understand why he would not want to do it himself if that is the next step. Does anybody have any answers? I also am having a hard time expressing to my Dr. that the pain meds he is prescribing are not cutting it. He says he wont up any dose because of my age. I think it is ridiculous! I mean pain is pain no matter what age. I understand he is worried about me getting addicted but why not worry about that after we solve the back problem. I lie in bed all day except for the 3 hellish hours I am at work. He has me on Percocet 5mg, oxycontin 10mg, and Neurontin. I don't know how to bring it up again that they are not working. Any advice? How do I find out if I qualify for disability?

Thanks for listening,

• Have ever contacted a physio, Injections would give you relief for some specific hours. I suggest, it is better to contact a better physiotherapist in your nearest location to have some fast and favorable results.
  • I've been going through it for over 2 years. If your doctor won't listen to you then you find a doctor that will. You keep trying things till you find some relief. If you haven't tried the injections yet, you need to try them first before surgery. You may receive some relief from the injections. Unfortunately untill you keep yelling about how much pain your in no one listens.

• I feel your pain! ~X( I've had back problems for 7 years and I'm only 22. I had a horrible doctor that would make me feel terrible about meds, pain, and life in general. He made a huge issue of my age, ignoring the cause of my pain- 9 years of gymnastics and every other sport under the sun except soccer. I have a herniated disc and "mass-impact" on several nerve roots. Somehow he believed that I'm young so I do not need pain management or need to have any sort of life. Yeaaaah. I'm not a crier, but I cried at every single appointment I had with him. I finally changed doctors. My new doctor told me that pain is pain no matter what age. He said that if you leave pain untreated, people will eventually get desprate and do things they would never do if they weren't in pain. He believes in controlling pain. Have you ever tried any of the nerve pain meds like Lyrica, Topomax, or Gabapentin? Some of the side effects can be annoying at first, but I found that they all went away after a few weeks. What works for one may not work for another, so try everything you can prior to having surgery. Have you tried auriculotherapy? I've found this helpful for nerve pain. I love this therapy and it's completely drug free! :D Try going to a university hospital; this is where I had my luck. Just be careful to never get meds from more than one doc. Following the pain management rules ensures you will have less problems with future doctors. I found switching to be quite easy. If you go to a new doctor and you like him/want to stay with him, just tell him you no longer wish to see the other doctor and that should be enough to keep you out of the proverbial pain management dog house! @) I didn't really have to do anything. He completely switched my medicine. I made sure to let him know the date I last got meds from my former doctor. You deserve better pain care! There will be a doctor willing to help you! You never know if that great doc is right around the corner unless you try. I'm always here to listen; I completely understand. I'll help you in every way I can! Surgery is a serious step. Make sure you know EVERYTHING there is to know prior to getting cut, because once you get cut, you can't get un-cut. :) Keep me posted on how things are going for you and let me know if I can help, even if it's just lending an ear (or 2 and some eyes too!) or sharing my experience!

Much love and understanding,
  • I understand your pain. I had three town discs and no one could find them. Went to 8 or 9 different DRs everything from ortho to neuros and neuro surgeons before they figured out my problem. The tears did not show up on any MRIA,Ct,Myleogram, or other tests I had done. Finally an ortho ordered a discogram and it showed the tears. They can be really painful and the disc fluid is highly damaging. At least I was told that. So with that in mind. Please find a ortho or neuro who will listen to you. You are to young to have to live like this and if your pain meds are not working, and pain Dr wont change them, get with one that will work with you. In this day and age there is no reason for you to feel hopeless. Good Luck and I am always here for ya. Hugs >:D< Robin
  • a basic requirement for any one in chronic pain and your doctor will know this ..just insist that you are given sufficient pain killers for you to cope with your pain ..its your rite...and his.her responsibility to ensure that you do not have any unnecessary suffering..that's basics medical care!!.if you are having problems with your doctor i suggest that you you find another that will take you seriously..dont be fobbed of with things like its you age!! do me a favour! that's no excuse for not prescribing if you a genuine case then he /she has a duty of care to help you with your pain control .
This discussion has been closed.