Welcome, Friend!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

advertisement
advertisement
Veritas-Health LLC has recently released patient forums to our Arthritis-Health web site.

Please visit http://www.arthritis-health.com/forum

There are several patient story videos on Spine-Health that talk about Arthritis. Search on Patient stories
Protect anonymity
We strongly suggest that members do not include their email addresses. Once that is published , your email address is available to anyone on the internet , including hackers.

Notice
All discussions and comments that contain an external URL will be automatically moved to the spam queue. No external URL pointing to a medical web site is permitted. Forum rules also indicate that you need prior moderator approval. If you are going to post an external URL, contact one of the moderators to get their approval.
Attention New Members
Your initial discussion or comment automatically is sent to a moderator's approval queue before it can be published.
There are no medical professionals on this forum side of the site. Therefore, no one is capable or permitted to provide any type of medical advice.
This includes any analysis, interpretation, or advice based on any diagnostic test

What are our Fears?

dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,059
edited 06/11/2012 - 7:31 AM in Depression and Coping
Every human being has fears, no one is exempt from that. But am talking about fears that we have. Doesnt matter if we are just experiencing spinal pain and not sure what to do to the point where we have had multiple surgeries and just trying to figure out how to stop it all

Someone said that once you acknowledge (or state) your fears that is the first step in over coming them
Ron DiLauro Veritas-Health Forums Manager
I am not a medical professional. I comment on personal experiences
You can email me at: rdilauro@veritashealth.com
advertisement

Comments

• dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,059
    my biggest fears were:

1) After surgery would I be able to walk

2) Coming out of surgery and never being able to participate in physical love making.

3) After being catheterized, never wanting that to happen again!
  • My fears are...

That I won't live up to the high expectations they have of me at work, when I go back tomorrow into a new position

That I won't get to sleep until a ridiculous hour, and be a complete wreck tomorrow for my first day back!!

That I'm not being the best partner to my boyfriend because I can't do the things he likes or wants to do

That even though I tell him, he doesn't know how much I do love and appreciate him taking care of me (after he just made me go to bed to try to sleep, but aha, I snuck my laptop up with me!!! LOL)

That things are just going to get worse, as they now think I have problems at L5-S1...

About becoming a full-time student in a year or two, in my late 30's...

About leaving the military, the only life I've known in adulthood, and losing all the benefits I've been so lucky to have...

that's all I have, aside from being paralyzed in fear of heights and spiders!!! =))
    Kelly
    APROUD CANADIANveteranButNOTa doctor, my thoughts are my own
  • Wow-Where to start.

I think my biggest fear is letting people down.I'm the same person that I always was,but I'm somehow totally different.I'm ok..actually good with the person that I am,but I fear that others won't be,or maybe they aren't..and maybe they can't tell me.

Yeah Ron,I heard that cliche' before too,so I went about mentioning my fears,a lot,in order to get past at least half of the problem(s).Maybe that was meant as a metaphor of some kind,or maybe a poet wrote that..talking about cutting off his ear or some such thing.
    I just know that it didn't cut my fears by 1/2,but I hope it works for others.

Good post~potentially painful in retrospection.

• That this will never end. It sounds dramatic but that is what I am thinking, I've always tried to remain optimistic and keep my sense of humour but it's really begining to run thin now.

I'm afraid that I might be slipping into depression, I cry at the slightest thing, feel totally exhausted, have trouble laughing off my troubles and really can't be arsed with it anymore ...........

Doof
  • Milfoil, you ever been in a canoe and cruise over a patch? That stuff's creepy! It looks like it's reaching up to pull you down...;>)

Other than that - needles... You can come at me with a gun or sword or knife or a disposeable razor, I've no problem with that (but i'd appreciate a reason beforehand), but needles - uck!

Oh, and tuna and mayo, I hate that stuff!
    And wheat bread, and veggies & fruit (banannas, radishes[with salt], raisons and watermellon are ok but not all mushed together!).

Other than that and having to do anything physical, no... nothing scares me.
    It's a curse i know, but...;>)
  • right now, my biggest fear is that what I have now is only a break in the action... I feel ok for the first time in a long time. I'm off my pain meds, completely! My SCS works and my pain is about a 1-2 most days so all is good.

My fear is that it will not last. I don't want to go back where I was. I don't like that place, please don't make me.....
  • dilaurodilauro ConnecticutPosts: 10,059
    You wont go back
    You wont go back
    You wont go back

And you will never go back
  • Okay, lost my job last week due to this sciatic pain so I guess that's one off the list.

I fear the isolation from my circle of friends because it's been eight months and I'm not cured yet --

I fear the fact that pain makes me totally self-involved and I can't be there for the people I care about like I used to be --

I fear not being able to hold a full time job again --
    I fear losing health insurance --

I fear the identity crisis that comes with losing all former aspects of your personality due to the chronic pain --

I fear that I won't find a compassionate doctor who will listen to me and help me get my life back --

Mostly, I fear God won't forgive me for not putting all my fears in his capable hands (Let go and let God!)

• RangerRRanger on da rangePosts: 805
    What comes to my mind first would be the fear of not being able to be independent. The fear of not being able to walk, the fear of losing my vision, or the fear of the aftermath of a stroke. Stuck in an assisted living facility just waiting to die. During my younger years I remember fearing death. After all I have been through I fear death no more.
    Ranger
advertisement